PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Fingerjoint Jig

Jim Young
03-16-2005, 7:31 PM
I would like to get opinions from people who either have them or just used them. Are they really worth getting the template? Woodhaven has a jig for $120 and it looks like it could get the job done too. TIA

Jim Stastny
03-16-2005, 9:33 PM
Jim,

Unless you want to do some of the "fancy stuff" that the Leigh jig will allow you to do, I would recommend making your own jig. Various router books have plans/instructions. They're easy to make and you'll save aton of cash.

Just my two cents worth.

Brent Smith
03-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Jim and Jim,
Making your own jig is surely a way to go,but the Leigh jig gives you alot more versitility.It's also, I find,alot faster if your'e doing alot of joints.The accuraccy and repeatability of the Leigh jig are undeniable. I'm a big fan of their jigs and have used all the templates they offer.At first setup can be a burden, but once you're use to it,like everything else it's second nature to use.My opinion...........Go with the Leigh
Brent

Jim Becker
03-16-2005, 10:56 PM
There is a downloadable piece from Leigh that shows you how to do basic 1/4" box joints using the dovetailing fingers if you want to at least try the jig out for that purpose. I just downloaded it the other day an plan on trying it out soon.

Jim Dunn
03-17-2005, 9:12 AM
Jim, this is my box joint jig. Figure I got it built for .02. It's just scraps and seriously the most expensive part is the sticky back sand paper to keep the parts from slipping around. These will be drawers for my mitre saw bench 8" wide and 24" deep from the front.