PDA

View Full Version : A Little TEXAS two-step

Roger Chandler
01-23-2012, 4:57 PM
I am very appreciative of fellow turner Dane Fuller who sent me two pieces of Texas mesquite...........he had to wait till the rattlers were in den-up before he went out cutting ..........thanks a lot Dane!!!

Dane Fuller
01-23-2012, 5:54 PM
You're sure welcome, Roger. I hope that you can lop a few usable chunks of enough size that it's worth your while. There's gonna be some pink hues in these.

Ted Calver
01-23-2012, 7:48 PM
Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes! I'd wait to cut it too :) Very nice.

Jamie Donaldson
01-23-2012, 9:15 PM
It also doesn't appear that Dane included any of those big ol' grubs that like to tunnel in the cambium of mesquite. Sometimes I can hear them gnawing away in the shop wood stash when things are quiet!

Larry Lilly
01-24-2012, 3:25 PM
Jamie, that is so true. I scored some mesquite here in Dallas from a firelot guy that was po'd they werent brought to him split. I got them real cheap, an after bringing them home and sitting in the garage with them, I thought i hear munching. The next ay when i grabbed one from the pile, i saw some frass, and when I started to tun it it was spray of water AND bug guts. yep, the hammerhead grub, tons of them in that pile. I had one bowl left on the lathe overnight after final shaping and the next morning saw where a grub emerged from the thicker bottom. Almost all of those turnings had to be art there were so many grub holes they would never hold soup.