PDA

View Full Version : Okay...Who Has a Prettier Handwheel?...

Wally Dickerman
01-23-2012, 3:48 PM
I recently replaced my 5 inch koa handwheel with this 7 inch box elder handwheel. The 5 incher was just a bit too small. I like 'em big.

I've turned on lathes that had no handwheel. I feel lost without one. You don't know how often you use one until you turn without one. Even my cheap little Sears lathe that I bought in 1936 had a handwheel.

You like it? You have a bigger one?

Tim Rinehart
01-23-2012, 3:49 PM
Nobody! Not Nobody!
Wish I had room on my lowly PM for such a thing of beauty as that which graces your Oneway! Excellent touch!

Dale Miner
01-23-2012, 3:53 PM
Great looking handwheel Wally.

And, the 3520B does not have one that big, but, my 1960's vintage Yates American has an 8 incher. I don't turn on the Yates American much, it only gets pressed into service when a group of turners gather here.

It looks like the figure might cause areas of different density. Have you noticed any balance issues at higher speeds?

Wally Dickerman
01-23-2012, 4:10 PM
Great looking handwheel Wally.

And, the 3520B does not have one that big, but, my 1960's vintage Yates American has an 8 incher. I don't turn on the Yates American much, it only gets pressed into service when a group of turners gather here.

It looks like the figure might cause areas of different density. Have you noticed any balance issues at higher speeds?

Dale, I hadn't turned anything at high speed lately so I just went out to the shop and cranked the lathe up to 4000 rpm. Smooth as silk, so no problems.

John Keeton
01-23-2012, 4:19 PM
Wally, wish my Jet 1642 had room for that! I need to measure, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't have over 5" clearance.

What about a nice "Captain's wheel", complete with spokes???

Brian Kent
01-23-2012, 4:27 PM
Have you folks ever discussed with your spouses about having an "open marriage" with your spouse and your lathe?

Your great handwheel is a beautiful and wonderful gift to your lathe.:D

Dale Bright
01-23-2012, 4:37 PM
Wally,

Very nice Wally. Here is a link to a thread about my handwheel. The wood is not as pretty as yours but still kind of nice.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?155315-New-Handwheel&highlight=

Dale

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-23-2012, 5:10 PM
I like this! A LOT! I'm just pondering whether I should try and turn a wheel for mine... I think it will get in the way (gear box cover covers the outboard spindle) I could turn with the door open, but I think that's a no-no... My turning partner Jon has commented about handwheels too, but I think his has a problem with no spindle (he has a swivel headed machine).

Jon McElwain
01-23-2012, 5:21 PM
Here's mine. It was made in a moment of desperation from a scrap of red alder laying on the floor under the lathe. It is finished with Hut Crystal Coat (I think), and Beall buffed. 7-1/2" by 1-1/8".

Jim Burr
01-23-2012, 5:24 PM
No trees were killed in the making of my plastic wheel!! The ones you guy's put out are sweet!

Robert McGowen
01-23-2012, 6:09 PM
Have you folks ever discussed with your spouses about having an "open marriage" with your spouse and your lathe?

Wally, your hand wheel is very nice, but I believe that Brian has quite possibly taken things to a new and unexpected level....... :eek:

Wally Dickerman
01-23-2012, 7:19 PM
Wally, wish my Jet 1642 had room for that! I need to measure, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't have over 5" clearance.

What about a nice "Captain's wheel", complete with spokes???

Umm John...I was into boating in a pretty big way for for quite a few years. One of my boats had a "captains wheel" complete with handles. Seeing that thing turning at 3000 rpm would be pretty scary.

Scott Hackler
01-23-2012, 7:26 PM
Nice Wally. This is a project that I have had on my "to do" list for a while, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Jim Burr
01-23-2012, 7:32 PM
Wally! Head out here...I still have, although I'm not sure how, my Catalina 38 and the wheel has always had special care, and the deck has the teak. It is actually starting to see some use since my wife finished med school...fresh...really fresh fish and the waves lapping on the hull...turning can take a day off!

Roland Martin
01-23-2012, 7:34 PM
Like John, not much room for a handwheel on the 1642:(

BILL DONAHUE
01-23-2012, 7:56 PM
That's really cool! Would make me want to keep stopping my turning.

Fred Belknap
01-23-2012, 8:44 PM
I have never turned on a lathe that had a handwheel. I usually just grab the chuck and turn it. Someday.......sigh....:)

Wally Dickerman
01-23-2012, 8:59 PM
Wally! Head out here...I still have, although I'm not sure how, my Catalina 38 and the wheel has always had special care, and has the teak. I is actually starting to see some use since my wife finished med school...fresh...really fresh fish and the waves lapping on the hull,,,turning can take a day off!

Sounds good Jim....Moving to Arizona from Puget Sound country was great weatherwise but we do miss boating and as sea food lovers we miss fresh fish, clams, oysters and Dungeness crabs.

David E Keller
01-23-2012, 9:07 PM
I thought all the decent lathes came with a handwheel!:D

Dan Forman
01-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Well that's the prettiest one I've ever seen! I had to descend to the shop to see why there is not enough room on the PM. The other thing I wonder about is whether such a thing would afford a good seal for a vacuum chuck?

Dan

Jon McElwain
01-24-2012, 10:58 AM

Your great handwheel is a beautiful and wonderful gift to your lathe.:D

If my lathe ever makes my wife jealous or leaves here longing for love, you'll see me dragging it out of the shop with a chain around it and leaving it to die in a deep ditch on a lonely road...

Mike Cruz
01-25-2012, 7:35 AM
Wally, I LOVE yours! I wanted to turn one for my PM90, but the outboard end of my spindle is very fussy with things getting screwed onto it. Either the stop collar doesn't seat pertfectly flat or the threads are worn, or something. May be a PM90 thing because I've heard others say it, too. So I have a small (2 1/2") metal cylinder on there that is shimmed so it runs true. And I don't have to take it off if I need to take the belt guard off. Wouldn't work with a handwheel...unfortunately. You are lucky.

Dale Miner
01-25-2012, 7:58 AM
If my lathe ever makes my wife jealous or leaves here longing for love, you'll see me dragging it out of the shop with a chain around it and leaving it to die in a deep ditch on a lonely road...

Could you email me the GPS coordinates if and when?

Bill White
01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
I would love to have one on my Grizz G1067Z but I don't have a clue as to where I can get/make the left hand threaded insert to mount it. Any ideas?
Bill

Jon McElwain
01-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Could you email me the GPS coordinates if and when?

Haha - sure thing!

James Combs
01-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Very nice Wally. Love the grain and color. I am in the same boat as John K., just don't have the room for something as nice as that.

I would love to have one on my Grizz G1067Z but I don't have a clue as to where I can get/make the left hand threaded insert to mount it. Any ideas?
Bill

Bill, how about a straight through bore to fit over the threaded area of the spindle and a couple of set screws on the headstock side to hold it in place?? Just be careful of the setscrew placement so as not to damage threads. The spindles on my two lathes have a no-thread area next to the headstock that would accept setscrews.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Bill, as James said above +1, or, you could get a copy of an engineers handbook (we use 'Zeus' in the U.K.) to find the hole diameter for a the wheel then hand turn the handwheel over the thread, thereby tapping it to your specific thread on your lathe... (which is what I'm going to do!).

Peter Blair
01-25-2012, 3:57 PM
Gotta try this. I use a vacuum chuck so frequently I really didn't want to fuss with changing back and forth but I'll check the stuff sitting in my shop and see what I can come up with.

John Altberg
01-25-2012, 4:15 PM
The late Russ Fairfield has to have had the prettiest of all on his Oneway. It was segmented and had a nice contour on it for grabbing onto. I found a photo on his site that shows a a partial view of it.

John

Wally Dickerman
01-25-2012, 4:46 PM
The late Russ Fairfield has to have had the prettiest of all on his Oneway. It was segmented and had a nice contour on it for grabbing onto. I found a photo on his site that shows a a partial view of it.

John

Looks like a Russ handwheel...it's a big one too.

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2012, 5:05 PM
Wow - that looks great Wally! Bet the grain really plays with the light!!

Raymond James
01-26-2012, 8:25 AM
221347Here's my quick version of the Hand Wheel for my HF 34706 lathe. It was just a scrap piece I started from and its not very pretty but it works Great! I just purchased 6 machines from a good woodworker friend that is in very bad health, I didn't need all of them but he would not sell them individually. Delta 14" 2hp floor model Planer(with extra New Knives), Speedway Series Mill/Drill, Dewalt 1765 6X48 belt/10" Disc sander, Delta 14" Band saw and a Jet Model D8456 3/4 HP Jointer. and the HF 34703 lathe. I plan to keep the lathe and Milling machine and sell the rest at reasonable prices.

Bean

Roger Chandler
01-26-2012, 8:31 AM
I thought all the decent lathes came with a handwheel!:D

Hey David...........:p:p:p!