PDA

View Full Version : Some stuff from the weekend

Jim Burr
01-23-2012, 1:20 PM
Entering the bowl foray has been educational and a little frustrating (sorry, no pics of those...still working on a save:o).
Some eucalyptus from Vaughn...hard as a rock! 6x5 with 1/4" wall. The cracks came with it and were filled with espresso powder and CA. 1 coat of Formbys Tung oil finish. A little mystery wood bowl, but I beaded the rim with my 1/8" D-way...just trying different stuff;). Vaughn also hooked me up with a lot of Mesquite...I am so allergic to this stuff, there is almost negative airflow in the shop! I was able to keep the yellow sap wood which I thought was really cool! The split goes all the way through, so I had to stop short on the outside. No finish, just sanded to 600. A friend of mine is always giving me COW. We had a new Community Service pastor start last week at church so this is for him. The knot at the back end blew out so it to is filled with espresso powder and CA. 10 coats of CA, 5 thick to fill and 5 thin for build...12k MM wet sanded.
Walnut pendant that I filled the cracks with red coral. Not finish sanded yet, but maybe matte lacquer?
Thanks for looking and C&C always used on the next ones.:D

Baxter Smith
01-23-2012, 1:55 PM
Anything new is always educational for me Jim. It usually just stays that way too!:) If it survived, its good! Bowls that are a good bit wider than they are deep(sides not as steep) are a bit easier when it comes to turning the inside. Great pen and pendant. Hope you can find some crack free wood somewhere!

Jim Burr
01-23-2012, 2:50 PM
HA!! I know where there is some! But my DNA tank is a bit on the narrow side for it, so I'm grabbing another this weekend! Even the stuff I thought I had figured out will pull a fast one and then we learn all over again!

Mike Cruz
01-23-2012, 3:25 PM
Jim, I really like the pendant with the red coral. Not that I don't like the other ones, but that one is my favorite.

Tim Rinehart
01-23-2012, 3:41 PM
Nice work Jim. I also really like the pendant, looks like something found from long ago with some distressing. I also like the pen alot...is that olivewood?

Steve bellinger
01-23-2012, 4:25 PM
great job on all man. Glad to see someone is getting to play in there shop.:(

Jim Burr
01-23-2012, 5:35 PM
Nice work Jim. I also really like the pendant, looks like something found from long ago with some distressing. I also like the pen alot...is that olivewood?
Hey Tim! The pen is olive wood and I have loads of it..hint hint.

Jim Burr
01-23-2012, 5:39 PM
great job on all man. Glad to see someone is getting to play in there shop.:(

Ahhh...all that means is that you can't show me up for a week or two! You make great stuff bud...wait for the thaw!

David E Keller
01-23-2012, 9:11 PM
Cool stuff, Jim! That olive wood pen has got to be one of the nicer pens I've seen in a while!