PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of one of these...Goose Traveler or Goose Traveling Hand Saw?

linke combs
01-23-2012, 12:56 PM
While searching out a good used ball peen hammer and nail pincers this weekend I came across a nice vintage tool selection in a little antique mall. There was a used hand saw there that had a faint etching on it that read either Goose Traveler or Goose Traveling. I cannot remember which now. Anyway, it was in good condition and I believe it was a 6tpi rip panel saw. Very straight blade. So...has anyone ever heard of these? The price was not bad and I would not mind owning a decent panel size rip saw.

Thanks in advance,

Linke

Jim Koepke
01-23-2012, 1:24 PM
The price was not bad and I would not mind owning a decent panel size rip saw.

This is one of those statements that just does not compute. To me, if the price wasn't bad, the saw would have gone home with me. The point at which I think the price is not bad is about $5. There are a few exceptions.

Of course, now that I have more saws of some kinds than of others that price would mostly apply to backed saws.

If there was a really good saw that I thought could make a good user, then I might actually be tempted to purchase a saw with a clean saw plate to add to the dozen or so users that are already in the shop.

Another thought is if you do not have saw sharpening experience any old beater saw is a good one to learn on.

A few caveats:

I wouldn't buy any saw that looked to be newer than WW II with few exceptions.

I would avoid rusted or deeply pitted saw plates in most cases.

Dents, kinks or waves are also to be avoided.

jtk

linke combs
01-23-2012, 5:28 PM
Jim...I hear you. But it was more than $5 and I already purchased a hammer, saw set, nail pincers and was seriously debating if I really needed another Yankee 10" brace in decent condition. (I did not...but only because it was a 10". A 12" one would have made the trip home.) I am still learning about hand saws and have the Hand Saw Sharpening video from Popular Woodworking on order. I also have some cheap saws to practice on already, but this one seemed older, no rust or pitting, etc. I just had never heard of it, but maybe any saw from back then with good straight steel is better than anything in that price range today.