PDA

View Full Version : Steady rest

james pittman
01-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I received my Monster hollowing setup friday and am building a steady rest for my lathe to use with it. I am using James Combs plan but I am wondering how much advange is 4 arms are over 3 arms and which setup would be less in the way of the lazer. I would like to hear from some you before I start to weld it up. Thanks Jim:confused:

Joe Bradshaw
01-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Jeff Nichol uses 4 arms on the ones he makes. One arm is adjustable, so that you can dodge around your lazer arm.

Alan Trout
01-23-2012, 1:58 PM
I had Jeff Nichol make mine where all the arms are moveable. I would not have it another way. It has gotten me out of some sticky situations.

Alan

Ken Glass
01-23-2012, 3:53 PM
James,
I just finished the one from James Combs tutorial. It has four (4) arms also and it doesn't seem to impede my laser from my Monster Hollowing rig. Make sure you buy a ring with the same diameter as your lathes swing. Also if yours is bigger than the Jet lathe James shows in his tutorial, you should probably extend the arm length as well. Here is a picture of mine after I painted it.

Gary Max
01-23-2012, 4:03 PM
Ken where do you buy those rings???????????

John M. Smith
01-23-2012, 4:16 PM
I've gotten them from Mcmaster Carr. Great service and delivery times.

allen thunem
01-23-2012, 6:48 PM
what category would they be listed under in the mcmaster carr catalog?

Ken Glass
01-23-2012, 6:54 PM
James Combs tutorial gives a link to them. It is Mcmaster/Carr.

allen thunem
01-23-2012, 6:58 PM
next stupid question i do i find james combs tutorials?

ray hampton
01-23-2012, 7:14 PM
why not get the ring drill so that you could use ether 3 arms or 4 arms

Ken Glass
01-23-2012, 7:27 PM
Allen,
Here is the link.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/zip.gifSteadyrest by JDC.zip‎ (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166435&d=1289008070) (1.14 MB, 521 views)

allen thunem
01-23-2012, 7:38 PM
thanks ken

Gary Max
01-23-2012, 7:47 PM
I can't open the file---- what's the ring called and I will look it up.------- Thanks

Mike Cross
01-23-2012, 7:57 PM
Here ya go Gary.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#angle-rings/=9jtkip

Ken Glass
01-23-2012, 7:58 PM
Gary,
Here is the link right to the rings at Mcmaster/Carr. Just need to decide on the one that matches your Lathes swing in inches.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#angle-rings/=9jtkip

James Combs
01-23-2012, 8:20 PM
For those of you that maybe using my tutorial I just wanted to give you recommendation on a change to the parts list. I used a piece of 1/4" thick plate for the base plate and based on using my steady for a while now I am of the opinion that on a steady rest my size it needs to be a minimum of 3/8". I do on occasion get some minor vibration(nothing dramatic) of the steady at certain RPMS and the vibration seems to resonate around the base plate. When I get around to it I am going to have another layer of 1/4 plate fitted and welded over top of my existing plate. Also I suspect that on a 20+ inch stead it should be at least 1/2". So if you do decide to build your own keep that in mind.

Another suggestion is to make the arm clamp located at the 10:00 position a bolt on(removable one) if you think it might interfere with your laser. I have the Mini Monster and it uses the same laser as the Monster but I don't have any problems with using it with the steady. However if re-movability is desired you can use the instructions in the tutorial that I give for making my platter rest add-on removable.

Good luck and thanks for reviewing/using my tutorial.

Tom Hardy
01-23-2012, 9:39 PM
Just finished my steady rest using James Combs tutorial. (great tutorial James) Gives great info on where to purchase items needed, & fantastic instructions. I made one extra arm bracket that can be adjusted if needed. Now I am just waiting for my monster to show up ( should be any day now ) so I can try it out.

Roger Turnbough
01-24-2012, 9:54 AM
Where did you all source your square tubing at? I am having a difficult time sourcing the correct materials.

Thanks,

Roger

James Combs
01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
We have a cold/hot rolled steel supplier here in Mount Sterling, KY, that's where I got mine, and we are a small town. I would be surprised if you couldn't find something local in your location. Have you tried your yellow pages or a local search online?