PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: Tempurpedic Beds

scott vroom
01-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Does anyone own a Tempurpedic bed? I'm about to pull the trigger on one but am wondering if I'm just falling for the hype, or maybe this bed is really worth the BIG dollars.

If you own one, which model? how long have you owned it? Regrets or happy?

Matt Meiser
01-23-2012, 10:44 AM
We came close to getting a Tempurpedic or Sleep Number but then tried a few more regular mattresses at The Mattrees Firm and ended up buying a high-end Sealy for less than 1/2 the cost that we thought was just as comfortable. A couple years later we are still happy with the choice.

The one thing I read about Tempurpedic over and over was how hot they are in the summer which worried me--possibly adding considerably to our AC bill.

Richard Shaefer
01-23-2012, 10:53 AM
I have a tempurpedic king size mattress. The new ones (within the last decade) have cooling ducts in them so they don't get hot like the older models.
It's a really, really good bed. Not just comfort (which is also great), it's durable as anything. I toss and turn in my sleep, and at 230 lbs, I destroy mattresses pretty quick. I've had my tempurpedic for 8 years and it's exactly the same as the day I bought it. My in-laws have had their bed for 20 years and it's stil las good as new. you won't get that durability from a spring mattress. Best price can usually be had direct from Tempurpedic, and if you press them, they'll toss in the pillows (which are not cheap) for free.

Van Huskey
01-23-2012, 11:03 AM
We have had ours for 3.5 years. It was the "standard" one I think it lines up with the Contour in their line now. We both like a firm bed so that one fit us best. We both absolutely love it, but as with any new mattress it takes a few days to get used to it. We both sleep "hot" and it was a big concern of ours but it has proven to be a non-issue for us. In fact I am almost lost as to the origin of the comments you see everywhere, it may be that both of us sleep on our sides so we have less body surface in contact with the bed. In any event if we needed a new mattress there is no question it would be a Tempurpedic. We did not buy the pillows at the time, they didn't seem like a "good deal" but later bought some knock offs at Bed Bath and Beyond, although my wife wasn't a fan I fell in love with them, they are the normal pillow not the contoured one. The "cheap" ones are breaking down but now that I know I like them I will be getting me a "real" one shortly.

Gordon Eyre
01-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Been sleeping on a Tempurpedic for fifteen years and love it. I don't hesitate to recommend them and plan to buy another one before long.

Jim Tobias
01-23-2012, 11:17 AM
We bought one a few years back and have loved it. My wie and I still sleep on other types of mattresses when visiting our children and other relatives, but we both look forward to coming home to sleep on the Tempurpedic. It definitely has a feel all of its own.
No heat problems here.
Jim

Matt Meiser
01-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Well shame on the salesperson we talked to for not telling us about the cooling features when I brought that up!

glenn bradley
01-23-2012, 11:28 AM
This seems to be specific to the person. My girlfriend loves her Tempurpedic mattress, it just kills me. If I do happen to sleep on it two nights in a row, I am in for serious trouble; back pain, stiffness, limited motion, etc.. Dad also tried one for a period of time but, ended up returning it for the same reasons; I sink in and don't move. I would constantly wake up fighting to get out of the whole I had sunk in to. I can't just roll onto my side once I've been in position for a period of time. Both dad and I are what we like to think of as lithe (read skinny) so it may be that us boney folks don't do so well on them(?). A high quality, firm spring mattress serves me best but, folks who do well on the foam models seem to really do well on them. YMMV.

Joe Leigh
01-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Nothing else in the world like it.....and forget all the wannabe copycats, go with the real thing.
It does take a little getting used to though..
As for the too hot thing?, urban legend.

joe milana
01-23-2012, 11:46 AM
We have one, vented, adjustable. I want to drag it out to the street every time I hear the garbage man coming, but he won't take it. I'll take a quality mattress with a medium pillow top over this thing any day.

James Baker SD
01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
We had a high end Sealy or Simmons for 12 years and I did not sleep well and often woke up with a sore back. If my wife moved (or worse came to bed late as she works weird hours), guarantee she would wake me up. We looked at latex foam (much cheaper than tempurpedic) but they really transferred the motion from side to side and even with my own motion, the bouncing took a while to die out. We got a tempurpedic 14 months ago and I have no regrets. I still do not sleep the night through, but I sleep longer stretches and no more back ache when I get up. Never feel my wife's motions either. One last benefit, I need an elevated bed to fight acid reflux, but my wife does not like sleeping up hill. The tempurpedic needs a firm support (not box springs) and I built two platforms for our mattress. Hers is an even 3" high, mine varies from 1" at the foot to 5" at the head giving me a 4" incline. The mattress easily twists from her side to my side.

Ted Calver
01-23-2012, 12:10 PM
We have had a king size Tempurpedic for about four years now and love it. There have been no issues about sleeping hot during the summer or not being able to move because of the 'memory hole'. I did listen to a discussion on CNBC regarding Tempurpedic stock which suggested it might suffer because there was now a competing product at a much lower price that offered the same quality of rest. The competing product incorporates some kind of gell with the foam, which skirts patent issues. I think, but am not sure that it's a Sealy. I will check out the competition in ten years or so when we buy another mattress because the Tempurpedic is $$$$.

Van Huskey
01-23-2012, 12:11 PM
If my wife moved (or worse came to bed late as she works weird hours), guarantee she would wake me up.

I forgot to mention this! My wife and I often go to bed at vastly different times and we can never tell when the other gets in or out, my 80lb dog also likes to hop on and off during the night, before I was always aware of it, with the Tempur I have no idea when he decides to move around.

Ted Calver
01-23-2012, 12:22 PM
... One last benefit, I need an elevated bed to fight acid reflux, but my wife does not like sleeping up hill. The tempurpedic needs a firm support (not box springs) and I built two platforms for our mattress. Hers is an even 3" high, mine varies from 1" at the foot to 5" at the head giving me a 4" incline. The mattress easily twists from her side to my side.

James,
We have a similar situation ...wife needs elevation, I don't. I just bite the bullet and sleep elevated. Glad to hear the mattress will take the twist. No signs that the edge of the platform is causing any unusual wear at the twist point? I have been putting off building a new bed because of the elevation issue. Elevating the whole bed will cause wracking issues with a traditional head board/foot board style bed i.e. the 4-5" rise in the head board will tilt it away from the wall and make it look crooked. I'm trying to figure out how to make an internal adjustment using the bed slats to raise one side and keep the other flat. Just haven't figured it out yet.

scott vroom
01-23-2012, 12:33 PM
I called Tempurpedic this morning.....they're anxious to sell to me direct and offered up $500 of free pillows without my even having to ask. I'm taking my wife to the local Sleep Train store again tonight for (another) test drive. The model I'm looking at is the Cloud Luxe....it's got a pillow top feature (we're both side sleepers plus I've had injuries to both shoulders and appreciate the soft feel).

If we go with a traditional spring mattress we like the Stearns and Foster Eureka Springs pillow top.....wow it feels great compared to what we have now (20 year old Spring Air). Of course, almost any new mattress is gonna feel better than something 20 years old..he, he, he.

I hate buying used cars, new cars, major appliances, and beds. I ALWAYS feel like no matter how "good" a deal I work, I'm still paying too much. Ya know the feeling? :o

An interesting footnote is that Tempurpedic is a petroleum by-product and as such is directly affected by changes in the price of oil. I only see them getting more expensive :)

Brent VanFossen
01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
We have the Tempurpedic Bella Sonna. We call it the million dollar bed, because it cost us a small fortune 3 1/2 years ago. Awesome investment. *SO* comfortable. Much better for us than any of the other high-end beds.

I'm sure it makes my woodworking better...

Joe Leigh
01-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Just a sidenote...Tempurpedic mattresses do not have the "rebound" that a spring mattress has, which gives certain physical motions a much different result than you might be used to.....:D

Jerome Hanby
01-23-2012, 1:06 PM
I was just waiting for the thread to take a sexual turn. I just have one question...why did you keep us waiting so long <g>

Just a sidenote...Tempurpedic mattresses do not have the "rebound" that a spring mattress has, which gives certain physical motions a much different result than you might be used to.....:D

Bob Wingard
01-23-2012, 1:15 PM
We've had one for about 9-10 years now, and it has been very good. Searched all around locally, and no one offered more than aout $00 off of retail. Found an e=Bay store in the Chicago area that had deep discounts and free shipping. He also offered a frame that had the head/foot elevation + variable massage built in. I didn't recognize the frame's brand name, so I contacted a friend who is in the businedd and he said the frame I was offered was significantly better that the one offered by Tempurpedic. We got it for just a bit over half of what the retail stores wanted. The ONLY problem I had was that the truck driver wouldn't come up my driveway to drop it off ... I had to use my tractor and a small trailer to bring it up the last 150' or so. It IS HEAVY !!! but my son and I got it in the house and installed with a bit of grunting & sweating.

Ellen Benkin
01-23-2012, 1:33 PM
You should know that ALL mattress stores will negotiate prices. Similar to buying a new car. I went shopping with a friend and all she had to do was mention that she had looked in other stores and the price dropped $500. Don't settle for pillows when you can get cash!

Prashun Patel
01-23-2012, 1:46 PM
Scott-
I'll be the contrarian:

I bought one a year ago and am only moderately satisfied. It took me a while to get used to it, and even since then I don't find my nights more restful than on a 'regular' premium matress. There are a handful of people out there like myself who own one but are not huge fans. If I could do it again, I'd buy a quality mattress from one of the Big S's.

If you have bad back and are willing to invest in the experiment, then you can utilize the 90 day trial period to make your decision. However, be advised that you'll likely pay return shipping to the retailer, and you'll be in a less powerful bargaining position for the replacement bed.

I theorize that these beds are better for larger people; for slighter people like myself, I wonder if I should have stuck with a spring mattress.

All this is to say that sleep preferences are highly personal, and you gotta try it to see what's right for your night.

Oh yeah, the memory foam mattresses are not 'cuddle-friendly' which might be a plus or negative for you...;)

scott vroom
01-23-2012, 1:56 PM
Oh yeah, the memory foam mattresses are not 'cuddle-friendly' which might be a plus or negative for you...;)

Uh oh.....that could be the deal breaker right there!

James Baker SD
01-23-2012, 2:05 PM
James,
We have a similar situation ...wife needs elevation, I don't. I just bite the bullet and sleep elevated. Glad to hear the mattress will take the twist. No signs that the edge of the platform is causing any unusual wear at the twist point? I have been putting off building a new bed because of the elevation issue. Elevating the whole bed will cause wracking issues with a traditional head board/foot board style bed i.e. the 4-5" rise in the head board will tilt it away from the wall and make it look crooked. I'm trying to figure out how to make an internal adjustment using the bed slats to raise one side and keep the other flat. Just haven't figured it out yet.

Ted:
We got a new bed at the same time, actually forced the new mattress as we went from a Cal-King to Eastern King. New bed is a platform with slats and under the bed storage drawers and attached headboard with storage so raising the whole bed was not an option (what we had done with the previous metal frame).

Tempurpedic recommended against slats (not enough support) and for a solid platform. What I made was essentially two one-sided torsion boxes out of 1/2" baltic birch that sit on the framework where the slats were intended to go. I used a quarter inch roundover bit on the touching center edges of the two box to reduce the stress on the mattress and sanded everything very smooth and finished with several coats of a water based lacquer to prevent snagging of the mattress. I made the two boxes the same height in the middle so my head is 2" higher than my wife, but my feet are 2" lower, so the twist in the mattress is gradual along the entire length rather than all at one end (if our feet were equal and my head 4" higher). I can send you photos of the boxes if you want.

David Kumm
01-23-2012, 2:10 PM
I like it my wife hates it. When buying mattresses you need to remember that the mattress companies often give salesman a direct commission so you have to take their advice with a grain of salt. Dave

Jerome Hanby
01-23-2012, 2:11 PM
We weren't prepared to buy another new mattress (okay our current one isn't that new, but we paid almost $2500 for it five or six years ago, so to me it seemed like it should still be new <g>). We bought one of the king-size, memory foam toppers from Sam's Club just to try it out. We've been very pleased with it. It's given all new life to the mattress and box springs that were quickly becoming untenable. That would be a cheap way to try that type of mattress. I'd say if you don't like the topper, then you wouldn't like the actual memory foam mattress. The thing came with a fitted sheet with very deep pockets to secure it in place. Our existing mattress was a pillow-top on top and bottom (so it could be flipped) and already took deep pocket fitted sheets that were a pain to find, it was nice that the supplied sheet worked well.

Greg Portland
01-23-2012, 6:04 PM
A few comments:

1) A new Tempurpedic mattress has a smell to it as the foam finishes off gassing. This can be limited by mattress covers (not sheets, an all-around cover) or fancier models that have extra fabric (pillow tops, etc.)
2) Pillow tops get mashed flat after a few months (even with mattress rotation) and then you've got a big depression in the middle of your bed. I'd recommend getting the plain mattress and buy an add-on pillow top that you can replace as needed.
3) Most brands offer memory foam, latex, or mixed (foam and latex) mattresses so don't feel locked into a brand.
4) Never buy a mattress anywhere close to MSRP (HUGE margins on these things)

Ted Calver
01-23-2012, 7:44 PM
... I made the two boxes the same height in the middle so my head is 2" higher than my wife, but my feet are 2" lower, so the twist in the mattress is gradual along the entire length rather than all at one end (if our feet were equal and my head 4" higher). I can send you photos of the boxes if you want.

James,
Thanks very much for the info. I can picture what you did and I like the way you split the difference in the middle. Two inches isn't a bad twist. I never would have thought of doing that. Thanks!!

Jim Becker
01-23-2012, 8:21 PM
We have the SleepNumber and my next bed will be a Tempurpedic or equivalent.

Joe Vincent 63
01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
About 10 years ago, we purchased the Tempurpedic mattress. It was the original model, and before the cooling ducts, etc. My wife enjoyed it, but I could never get comfortable. We keep the house around 65 at night, and this caused the bed to be hard as nails. When I called Tempurpedic, they told me it was due to insufficient body heat, so they told me to leave off the pajamas. Still no luck, then they told me to lose everything else. Still no luck. They tried to tell me that my body was't putting off hardly any heat. Ended up sending it back (free 90 day trial including return shipping at the time).

Eventually got a latex mattress, and it is wonderful. Very similar in feel to Tempurpedic. Latex is also number one selling mattress in Europe, and has been for quite a while.

Good luck with your decision. I would absolutely do an in home trial, or ensure I could return if needed. Some stores allow you to, some do not. Everyone is different, and it is a lot of money to take a risk with no option of return.

Last year while shopping we saw the Sealy version noted in the above post. My wife and I both thought it was incredible confortable!

Joe

Paul Saffold
01-23-2012, 10:34 PM
We bought the Serta version 4 years ago. The Tempurpedic was too far out of our price range. Absolutely love it. No more morning back ache. No issues with it being too hot. Its great not feeling the other getting in/out of bed as others have said. No cuddle issues either. We had an expensive pillow-top before that. The pillow-top part was squished flat within a year.

Mike Null
01-24-2012, 6:14 AM
We bought the Temperpedic about 4-5 years back. King size large version. It's incredibly comfortable, not hot in the St. Louis summers and you don't disturb your partner when getting in and out of bed.

The store where we bought ours had a couple of their employees "condition" our mattress before delivery to get rid of the gas smell. (My wife would have sent it back) They spent an hour or so jumping up and down on the mattress which sped the out-gassing and we had no problems with it.

My wife just received her fifth replacement on her right hip so this bed has been like medicine from heaven for her.

I think it was worth every penny.

Prashun Patel
01-24-2012, 8:55 AM
Couple more comments:

I do not experience firmness or temperature issues with my tempurpedic. If it existed previously, I think that problem has largely been solved in newer models.

Also, if you decide to go tempurpedic, you can save yrself a few hundred bucks by building the support frame yourself.

John Pratt
01-24-2012, 9:22 AM
I've been contemplating the purchase of one of these for a while now. My biggest concern is my bad back and whether the Tempurpedic will help or at least not make the pain greater. I have degenerative disc disease in my back and have experienced a couple annular tears. As a result I have major concerns that the memory hole could make the problem worse or make it increasingly difficult to roll or turn during the night. How many of you owners have back issues that the Tempurpedic made better or at least mitigated the issues you have?

Van Huskey
01-24-2012, 12:08 PM
I've been contemplating the purchase of one of these for a while now. My biggest concern is my bad back and whether the Tempurpedic will help or at least not make the pain greater. I have degenerative disc disease in my back and have experienced a couple annular tears. As a result I have major concerns that the memory hole could make the problem worse or make it increasingly difficult to roll or turn during the night. How many of you owners have back issues that the Tempurpedic made better or at least mitigated the issues you have?

Although I do not have back issues outside the occasional "thought I was superman and tried to lift a car" back issues but I think I can comment. I actually noticed in the first couple of weeks I did have some stiffness in the AM but figured out it was because I never got uncomfortable during the night so I didn't toss and turn, in fact I didn't move at all. This went away after a couple of weeks as I got more used to the bed. Now on nights after I have over worked my back I wake up refreshed instead of worse than when I went to sleep which is what I experienced on all other matresses. In your situation I would buy local and take advantage of the trial period but you really do have to go for 3-4 weeks to get a good sense of whether it will work for you or not.

Bonnie Campbell
01-24-2012, 1:50 PM
My late husband had degenerative discs in his back. He thought the Temperpedic was the next best thing to sliced bread after using it for a week. He wished we had bought the mattress sooner.

Rick Taylor
01-25-2012, 9:33 AM
I went through this process five years ago. I liked the Tempurpedic mattress but was put off by to the high price. I researched the Internet and came upon Bergad Isoform. This is a US company which manufactures its own memory foam in Pa., I think. Their mattresses were comparable in quality and about $1,000.00 cheaper than Tempurpedic. This company sells directly to the public, no middle man. They also offer a 90 day trial, but you have to pay return shipping. I pulled the trigger and got an adjustable queen size bed from them and have never regretted the purchase.

David Helm
01-25-2012, 2:44 PM
First slept on a tempurpedic in a hotel room in Portland Oregon. Went out and bought one shortly thereafter. Have had it for seven years now and would never, ever go back to a standard mattress. Everything they said about it turned out to be true for me. My back is fine but have a bad shoulder. The bed supports the shoulder and I sleep pain free. The cuddle factor sounds like an urban legend to me. Never have a problem with it.

BOB OLINGER
01-29-2012, 8:27 PM
About 3 yrs ago, we were faced with replacing our mattress. We purchased a high end Sealy pillow top. After about a year of feeling we were laying in a trench and couldn't climb out, we talked with the store owner, and he gave us an adjustment toward a replacement. We found out, also, our complaint had quite a bit of company. We splurged and purchased a Tempurpedic king size. I don't believe it has any cooling feature. I can tell you we are totally satisfied and would never purchase another brand. We wholeheartedly recommend the Tempurpedic. From the TV ads recently, it appears there may be more options now. We also got the pillows. The pillow takes a bit to get used to, but now I wouldn't go back to conventional pillows.