PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Handsaw Sharpener

Mike Holbrook
01-23-2012, 5:47 AM
I am new to handsaw sharpening. I bought Tom Law's sharpening DVD from TFWW and watched it. I also just bought the Gramercy Saw Vise. I have a good selection of files from Gramercy & Wenzloff. I would like to be able to do some combo sharpening. I have a Gramercy Sash saw, like the way it cuts, and may want to be able to match the more subtle fleam & rake angles.

I found a Handsaw Sharpener made by Veritas that looks like it is designed to help keep ones file at the right angle, depth...I wonder if anyone has actually used one of these devises and would care to comment on how they like it?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-23-2012, 7:35 AM
I haven't used it, but the big issue I see with those things is that you have to use the special files for it, and I don't know if they come in different sizes, and they're more expensive than using a traditional triangular file. If you're just doing quick touchups, it may last a while, but I go through a fair amount of files rehabbing vintage saws and changing the profile of teeth as saws get cycled through to different tasks as my collection grows. In my experience, even a poorly sharpened saw can do pretty good work compared to a well sharpened saw that has gotten dull. I think it's worth it to just practice and get the technique down. I by no means think I am an expert as saw sharpening, but I was surprised at how easy it was to sharpen my own saws. It was more work to cobble together a saw vise than actually sharpen a saw. You've already got a nice vise there, so you should be good to go. Some guide blocks and you should be doing fine.

I haven't seen Law's video, but I have seen the one by Ron Herman. How'd you like Law's video?

Have you got any panel saws? I found a slightly larger tooth was easier to learn on before I moved to my backsaws. The biggest issue I had with my backsaws was keeping track of those small teeth as I sharpened them. A little layout fluid (dykem or machinists blue or whatever) made it a lot easier to see where I had been - particularly when sharpening cross cut, so you make sure you actually hit every other tooth.

Mike Holbrook
01-23-2012, 8:55 AM
Joshua thanks for the thoughts,
I believe that guide does 4-12 ppi which covers most of my saws. Wow I did not notice what the replacement files cost. You mention guide blocks never seen those? I like the Law video. I imagine it is sort of old school. Most of what he shows I already knew from Hand Tool Essentials and reading posts here, which was a little disappointing. I think he mentions using a piece of paper with the angle drawn on it as an angle guide, Chris Griggs mentioned that in another post too. I just do not see how that would work with small angles.

I have a couple rip and a couple crosscut panel/hand type saws. I have a 5 ppi rip, 6 ppi crosscut that I can start with and 7 & 8 ppi saws I can step up to. I think the Gramercy 19 ppi dovetail saw is good for now, thankfully, because I can barely see those teeth. I am looking for a combo light & magnifying glass. I just got my Gramercy Saw vise and it want stop raining long enough for me to go get wood. I may mount it on some scrap temporarily.

Randy Briggs
01-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Have both videos and highly recommend the Herman video - much more practical. Herman goes through the guide blocks - basically just blocks on the end of the files to help with rake/fleam angles. Things really "clicked" with me after watching the Herman video and that was even after I had taken the saw sharpening class at Roy Underhill's school.

Chris Griggs
01-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Mike, I haven't used it but my advice would be not to bother with it. You'll be surprised how quickly you get the hang of basic saw filing. You'll also be surprised by how quickly saw files wear out.

Remember, saw teeth don't have to absolutely perfectly and identical to work. What it is most important is that the tips are all in line and this is fairly easily accomplished by jointing, paying attention to the tops of the teeth and stopping when the flats are gone. Yes the goal is typically for uniformity and consistency, but that's a moving target.

A guide block on the tip of your file will help you keep your rake uniform enough and angles drawn on piece of paper or a piece of scrap with an angled kerf in it set on top of your saw teeth will help you keep your fleam consistent enough. You probably won't get results as good as you would like right away, but again, I think you'll be suprised by how fast to get acceptable results.

You may have already checked these out, but here is some good free info on filing saws - it's what got me started.

Pete Taren's Saw Filing Primer - http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

Bob Rozieski's Saw Filing Podcast Episode - http://logancabinetshoppe.com/blog/2009/09/episode-7/

Edit: and yes, I too have seen the Herman video - it's very well done and makes filing seem much less intimidating

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Yeah - blocks that you insert the file into - it gives you a larger area at the end of the file to help keep the rake angle consistent - if that block is level, your file is at the right angle (if you got the file inserted into the block right) I also like a block with a groove, that sits on the saw, and then the ends cut at the same angle as my fleam - helps visualize things, just keep the file perpendicular to that block.

Bill Rittner's got an interesting take on saw filing guide blocks here:

http://newbritainboy.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/saw-filing-guide/

An interesting variation I'd like to try. I like that the guide for fleam could easily be changed.

Chris Griggs
01-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Yeah - blocks that you insert the file into - it gives you a larger area at the end of the file to help keep the rake angle consistent - if that block is level, your file is at the right angle (if you got the file inserted into the block right) I also like a block with a groove, that sits on the saw, and then the ends cut at the same angle as my fleam - helps visualize things, just keep the file perpendicular to that block.

Bill Rittner's got an interesting take on saw filing guide blocks here:

http://newbritainboy.wordpress.com/2012/01/21/saw-filing-guide/

An interesting variation I'd like to try. I like that the guide for fleam could easily be changed.

Hadn't seen that one Josh - looks like it could be a winner. Thanks!

Chris Vandiver
01-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Here is another very good resource on saw sharpening; http://home.grics.net/~weir/Old_SAWS_Restored.html

Mike Holbrook
01-23-2012, 2:31 PM
Thaks guys, I am busy watching videos now, may jump on the Herman video too.

Andrew Pitonyak
01-25-2012, 10:48 AM
I own the Law sharpening video and it was OK. I have seen the Herman presentation in person and I much preferred it. I ordered the Herman video some time back but last I heard, it was back ordered so I do not yet have a copy. Based on the presentation, I would order Herman's video.

Chris Griggs
01-25-2012, 10:59 AM
I own the Law sharpening video and it was OK. I have seen the Herman presentation in person and I much preferred it. I ordered the Herman video some time back but last I heard, it was back ordered so I do not yet have a copy. Based on the presentation, I would order Herman's video.

I think you can purchase a download/stream of the Herman video from PWW shop class on demand: http://shopclass.popularwoodworking.com/p-333-sharpen-your-handsaws.aspx

Mike Holbrook
01-25-2012, 2:47 PM
So I got excited and bought Herman's Sharpening video and the one on Joinery and a third one on bench building. You have to go to the site to play the video, you can download written materials, SketchUps... on some specific subjects....but buying a DVD is extra $. They probably should make that clearer on the purchasing pages.

So far I like the Herman sharpening video much better.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-25-2012, 4:00 PM
FWIW - Megan Fitzpatrick has stated here and on the PW blog to contact them about getting downloads for the DVD extras of videos you've subscribed to on the Shopclass website. If you've subscribed the video, and the DVD extras aren't linked from the shopclass site, it's worth an email to them.

Mike Holbrook
01-25-2012, 5:58 PM
May give that a try Joshua, thanks to Chris too for the info. There is some downloadable "extra" content on at least some of them other than the main video. Might be cheaper for them to let people download than have everyone doing streaming video from their site. Have to go cook & watch videos. I will report back after spending more time on them.