PDA

View Full Version : Red Cedar Day...

Lee Koepke
01-22-2012, 7:11 PM
today was my first of several Red Cedar Days! I took a cedar tree from a jobsite a few months ago and have finally gotten around to roughing out the blanks. I intend on making bowls for the two owners and the two primary contacts for building I am doing for them (as well as my construction team). I dont have pictures of the two rough outs that I did today, but I did turn a itty bitty paperclip holder just to see how it would finish out. Its around 4" dia x 2" high and a new personal best 1/8" thick!!!!!

sorry for the lack of tool control, but it started to crack on me with my final cuts, so I stopped before it shrapneled me ...

so, this weekend I turned this little one, roughed out 2 cedars and 2 oaks(?) Yippeeeeee -- I am ankle deep in shavings !!!!!

John Keeton
01-22-2012, 7:49 PM
...but it started to crack on me with my final cuts, so I stopped before it shrapneled me ...Lee, it is cedar, and it is going to crack!!! Seems to be the nature of the beast. Great work on this one, and I hope the roughouts stay solid for you.

Donny Lawson
01-22-2012, 8:09 PM
Lee, cedar is fun to turn and smells up the shop great. I've got alot that I need to get to sometime in the future. Yours looks good and maybe it won't crack to bad.

David E Keller
01-22-2012, 8:11 PM
It's pretty wood, Lee! I have a love/hate relationship with cedar... I love the way it looks when it's finished, but I hate turning and sanding it.

Chris Studley
01-22-2012, 8:17 PM
I Like the contrast. Very cool.

Harry Robinette
01-22-2012, 8:31 PM
I like the upper part ,I think the foot could be a little smaller. But hey you keep it together thats number 1. Nice piece even if it is ceder.