PDA

View Full Version : Unity Candle Finished

Alan Mikkelsen
03-16-2005, 6:12 PM
Two and a half weeks ago, I was asked to design and build a unity candle for a wedding this coming Saturday. It's a second marriage for both, and as a symbol of unifying two families, everyone will be lighting a candle, bride, groom and 9 children (only three combined left at home). I spent one full week just worrying about a design. I posted here asking for design help. The request was for a craftsman inspired design, to match the Craftsman bungalow they are building. Here's the result. I feel a bit self conscious posting this here, with some of the high end work we've seen in the past two weeks! This piece has 132 individual pieces of wood in it, and measures 27" x 9" on the walnut base.

Jim O'Dell
03-16-2005, 6:30 PM
Alan, I see no reason to be self conscious about this work...IT"S BEAUTIFUL!!!! I'm sure you will find that the couple you have made this for will keep this as an ever present reminder of their family's love. Good work! Jim

Bob Reeve
03-16-2005, 7:19 PM
You have done good there sir. It looks great and the lucky couple will love it and the thought that went into it.

Bob

Corey Hallagan
03-16-2005, 7:20 PM
I will second that, beautiful work!!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-17-2005, 12:16 AM
Great job on a tricky project!

Bruce

John Scane
03-17-2005, 12:17 AM
really nice!

Robby Phelps
03-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Truly a great design and execution for a challenging project. Nice work!!!!!!!:)

Bruce Foley
03-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Great work Alan! Inlays really setoff the work and add to the symbolism of bringing all together as one. Nice design.

Bill Arnold
03-17-2005, 6:36 AM
Alan,

Very nice work! Smaller, simpler projects like this can sometimes have a greater meaning than the larger projects we create.

Regards,

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2005, 7:32 AM
Alan...great work! Those inlays must have been a real challenge!

Jeff Sudmeier
03-17-2005, 8:36 AM
Alan,

That work looks wonderful. The new couple will be displaying this in their home for many many years to come!

Mike Scoggins
03-17-2005, 9:26 AM
Alan,

Great job! Creative design that meets the goal of the theme very well. I'm sure the couple will cherish it.

I'm just curious, but is there any significance to the arrangement of 4 candles on each side (representing 8 of the children I speculate?) and 1 in the center (representing the 9th child, again speculation?)?

Again, nice job!

Mike

Alan Mikkelsen
03-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Mike--no significance that I can think of. My wife is the one who finally came up with the final design, and as she put it, she just wanted balance.

Thanks for all the comments. I really wish I would have had another two weeks, or even a week, and I would have built another one. I could do a lot better on the second one. There was no difficult joinery here, just a lot of time consuming fitting on the inlays and dovetails. In case this ever comes up again, I made some notes to myself on the sketch we used for a plan, about how to do it different and better.

Mark Singer
03-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Excellent! Great job!

Josh Bendel
03-17-2005, 11:04 AM
Great work Allen.

Dave Right
03-17-2005, 11:09 AM
You came up with a winning design!

Great job.

Marc Hills
03-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Alan,

I've never seen anything quite like that before; it's absolutely beautiful. Your wife did a wonderful job with the design, and you did a fantastic job with the execution.

I do love the idea of the unity candles; something about the candle light and the tremendous symbolism. I can imagine that family lighting that candle on anniversaries, family reunions and other special family occasions. Thanks for sharing.

Darren Ford
03-17-2005, 11:59 AM
...... And thats the w-ay they be-came - the - Brady - Bunch....

David Fried
03-17-2005, 12:26 PM
It's a nice design and came out really nice. I think the best part is how it will compliment thier new house. I would expect it to be proudly displayed for years to come.

Bryan Nuss
03-17-2005, 1:12 PM
Nice work, Alan. Compliments on the design to you both!