PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Plate for Circular Saw Base

Bill Miltner
01-22-2012, 5:50 PM
I have a piece of 1/4" thick 6061 aluminum plate that I want to use as a base plate for my 8" circular saw. Any issues with just plunge cutting the slot for the blade?

Jamie Buxton
01-22-2012, 5:59 PM
If you attempt the plunge cut with a woodworking blade, you may have the saw plunge uncontrollably; aluminum is kinda "grabby". You'd do a better job with a blade designed for cutting non-ferrous metals. They generally have a negative hook angle on the teeth, so they'll plunge more safely. HD has one for $45 or so from Diablo.

david brum
01-22-2012, 8:00 PM
You can also cut aluminum with an abrasive wheel mounted into your saw. That would be cheaper if you don't want to buy a specialty blade. It makes a lot of aluminum dust but works pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American-28027-4-Inch-Abrassive/dp/B000FN2N3O/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1327280010&sr=8-11

John McClanahan
01-22-2012, 8:36 PM
The slot needs to be wider than the blade if you want to tilt the base. If you choose to plunge cut the slot, use a carbide blade with little hook angle. Clamp the base down solid, so the saw can't move if something goes wrong. Plunge slow. Don't bog the saw down, as the motor will get hot. Keep the cut wet with WD40. That will help keep aluminum from sticking to the blade. Check the blade from time to time for aluminum sticking. Sticking aluminum will cause heat, and more sticking, and more heat. The chips coming off the blade will be hot, so wear a long sleeve shirt and button the collar.

John

Wil Limanen
01-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Make sure to mill out an area for the blade guard to drop down, otherwise the blade is going to do damage when you set it down after the cut.
I made one for my saw out of some hard fiber board that the local electronics factory had. Works great for cross cutting and no splinters with the zero clearance.

Wil

Bill White
01-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Have a good first aid kit on hand (or for your hand). I guess it can be done, but I wouldn't attempt it 'cause I'm a sissy. I would find a machine shop with a good end mill for cutting. Shouldn't cost much, and you'll get a much better finished cut of the correct size. I've even done light milling on my drill press with the aid of a fence.
Bill