PDA

View Full Version : Thought's and op's on DT Jigs

Greg Bender
01-22-2012, 5:09 PM
Just curious what current owners thought about the Porter Cable Dovetail jigs? Also,which one should I buy ,the 4216 and the 55160 are the two that I'm looking at.I currently own the 12" from Peachtree and it leaves alot to be desired. Are they worth the difference in money?
Greg

Harvey Melvin Richards
01-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I haven't used the 4216. Years ago I had an Omni jig, when PC first came out with them. My main complaint with it was the pins were on a 55/64" spacing instead of 7/8". It made the math more complicated, but I just dovetailed a full length piece of apple ply and used it as a story board. I also found that the cam locks were finicky to get them clamping uniformly.

Bill White
01-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Have the 4210. Set it up and cut really nice half blinds right away. I have not bought other templates as yet. I'm pleased with it. I just have to get my head around offsets when setting up for different widths.
Bill

Albert T. Tappman
01-23-2012, 3:14 PM
I have a PC 4212. I've only used it to cut half-blind dovetails. I had to file the slot between the leftmost two fingers, to make the guide bushing fit into it. All the other slots were OK. That's the only trouble I had with it. A big clear base plate and a bottom-heavy router will make things easier, otherwise the router wants to tip when on the jig. I bought one of Pat Warner's base plates.

Bruce Page
01-23-2012, 3:55 PM
I have an older 16" 5116 PC Omnijig that I used before I went to neander DT’s. It worked great for me. They were built like a tank. I never had any problems with the cam locks not holding the work piece. I see them on CL every once in awhile going for a lot less than they cost when new.

Jerome Hanby
01-23-2012, 4:05 PM
After watching Rob Cosman's videos, I'm not sure if I'm genuinely fired up to try hand cutting dovetails or if I'm just excited to have a reason to buy a LN saw, a Titemark gauge, some Veritas DT squares, a quailty marking knife....

Greg Bender
01-23-2012, 7:53 PM
Well it sounds like any of the 4200 series ,depending which jigs I feel I'll need ,would be a good move. I was considering the 55160 only cause of the larger capability .You don't see those as often as the 12" and 24" but the larger one is alittle out of my price range right now. Thanx for the info gentleman.
Greg