PDA

View Full Version : which burnisher to buy?

Matthew N. Masail
01-22-2012, 3:31 PM
I'm looking to buy a long classic burnisher, I bought the small short carbide burnisher from Lee Valley for the small instrument making scrapers but I'd like a long one too. there are so many options so I'd like to get recommendations on a proven one that works for you.
the best things have a Ron Hock HSS one, any thought on HSS vs carbide ?

Thanks.

Brian Cameron
01-22-2012, 3:54 PM
I recently picked up a Verita Tri- Burnisher from Lee Valley...I have the feeling that it will be arround giving good results long after I am gone...just a great accessory
Brian

Greg Wease
01-22-2012, 4:14 PM
+1 for the Veritas burnisher. Mine has been going strong for over 10 years. If you like making tool handles, the Hock burnisher is also a good one. I don't see the need for carbide.

Jerome Hanby
01-22-2012, 4:49 PM
The hock is on my short list mostly because I like the idea of making the handle (and it looks like a good piece of steel).

Zach Dillinger
01-22-2012, 5:33 PM
If you want to make your own handle, just call up your local engine rebuilder and see if you can get an old, used engine valve. Hard, polished round steel, probably will be free. Just cut the head off and mount it in the handle of your choice. Will almost certainly be free. I had a few old valves from my Datsun 280ZX that I used to make a burnisher years ago. Works great.

Michael Peet
01-22-2012, 6:02 PM
Stupid question: I use a screwdriver. Any reason not to do this?

Mike

Zach Dillinger
01-22-2012, 6:29 PM
Stupid question: I use a screwdriver. Any reason not to do this?

Mike

No reason at all, as long as the shank is smooth and polished and doesn't gall against the edge of the scraper. Other guys will use the back of a gouge.

Mike Brady
01-22-2012, 7:24 PM
I recently picked up a Verita Tri- Burnisher from Lee Valley...I have the feeling that it will be arround giving good results long after I am gone...just a great accessory
Brian

I found the Tri-burnisher to be much too soft for quality scrapers like Bahco and LN. I spent as much time trying to get scratches out of it as I did burnishing scrapers. Now I don't bother with anything other than carbide.

Salem Ganzhorn
01-22-2012, 8:48 PM
I tried a drill bit, router bit shank you name it. I never got a really good hook until I bought a Crown burnisher. I am sure others are as good. But I do recommend you by something that was made to turn a hook.
Salem

James Carmichael
01-22-2012, 8:57 PM
No reason at all, as long as the shank is smooth and polished and doesn't gall against the edge of the scraper. Other guys will use the back of a gouge.

Router bit here, I'll have to try the gouge, though.

Zach Dillinger
01-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Router bit here, I'll have to try the gouge, though.

Yeah, the gouge works well. Give it a shot sometime. Just make sure the gouge is nice and shiny (i.e. no rust at all).

Don Dorn
01-22-2012, 10:23 PM
I have found most anything will work, but I like a hard edge like the tri-burnisher or the back edge of an old chisel. It just seems like they turn up a burr better than the round ones - at least for me.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-22-2012, 10:55 PM
I've been using the Timberline tools burnisher for years now. Bought it at Stewmac a long while back. Used a screwdriver now and then when it was more convenient. Using a drop of oil helps prevent galling, I've been told.

Matthew N. Masail
01-23-2012, 2:43 AM
Thanks everyone, I think I'll just get a LN or Blue Spruce carbide burnisher and call it a day. yeah it's expensive but if I end up buying even one more after getting one I'm not completely happy with, I'm already over at the price of a carbide one. so buy once sleep twice.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-23-2012, 7:38 AM
Does anyone have experience with the Arno burnishers? I've heard them recommended somewhere, can't remember where. They look a little funny.

Darren Brewster
01-23-2012, 8:25 AM
Does anyone have experience with the Arno burnishers? I've heard them recommended somewhere, can't remember where. They look a little funny.
Chris Schwarz in the Anarchist's Tool Chest dvd.

Richard Francis
01-23-2012, 2:44 PM
I am very happy with the Hock and can hang it round my neck on a piece of ribbon - keeps it close.
Buy direct

Zach England
01-23-2012, 3:04 PM
My friends who are luthiery students use some sort of rod from an engine. They buy them for like $2, and these guys are the masters of card scrapers.

They looked at me like I had two heads when I told them I had paid $50 for one from Lie-Nielsen. I am sure they had a good laugh behind my back.

Matthew N. Masail
01-23-2012, 3:17 PM
I have a friend who is really into car's, I actually just helped him make a wooden handle for his gear shift, I'll ask him to look into that for me and I'll post details if something works out

Bruce Haugen
01-23-2012, 3:18 PM
Your luthiery student friends had better be very careful. Some valve stems (which is what I assume you're talking about) are filled with sodium. You don't want to break one of those.

The burnisher I use is from Ron Hock, maybe about 16 or so years ago.

Zach England
01-23-2012, 3:55 PM
They are using something called a "push rod" I have found out. Surely someone here knows that that is.

Zach Dillinger
01-23-2012, 4:51 PM
They are using something called a "push rod" I have found out. Surely someone here knows that that is.

Yup. Its the old-school technology that was used before overhead cams in engines. The pushrod is pushed by the camshaft, which then activates the rocker arm, opening the valve. Much less efficient than an overhead cam, but it is for sure tried and true, and still in use in some engines.

Shlomo Hoffmann
01-25-2012, 7:18 AM
A drill blank makes an excellent burnisher... just add any handle, made or borrowed.

Zach England
01-25-2012, 8:28 AM
Violin nerds swear by this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-7823-1/