PDA

View Full Version : First platter

Cary Falk
01-22-2012, 2:10 PM
Well probably my first anything. I turn mainly to supplement my flat work. This is my first artsy display piece for our hall table. I have a couple of logs split in half waiting to be made into NE bowls for the person I got them from. I also have a piece of ambrosia maple for a bowl. The platter is about 15". It is split all the way in half. I pieced it back together with 3 butterflies on the backside before turning. I wanted to put some groves in the lip/rim but it came unglued from the faceplate before that happened. :eek:I want to get better and more creative at this so any comments apout form and wood selection would be helpful. Thanks, Cary

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0775.jpg

Mike Cruz
01-22-2012, 2:55 PM
Cary, personally, I like it plain like that. Let the wood speak for itelf when it is pretty... I would not have minded seeing the butterflies on the face, though. That way, it doesn't look like it is going to fall apart. Butterflies make that crack look like part of the design, not a flaw, IMO.

John Keeton
01-22-2012, 3:19 PM
I want to get better and more creative at this so any comments about form and wood selection would be helpful. Thanks, CaryCary, very nice work on the platter! To your question, try to avoid the pith in turnings as it will nearly always split/crack in that area.

Jamie Donaldson
01-22-2012, 3:33 PM
I agree with Mike about butterflies on the front, and would have placed 1 on each side in the rim flats, made from a contrasting color wood.

Allan Ferguson
01-22-2012, 5:46 PM
Pretty good looking wood. Nicely finished.

Eric Holmquist
01-22-2012, 7:07 PM
I'll join the chorus for thru-butterflies, I think they would look great in this piece.

I don't think the platter needs any other embellishment, the simple elegant design lets the great looking wood do the talking.

Roland Martin
01-22-2012, 8:02 PM
That's a good looking platter, Cary.

Donny Lawson
01-22-2012, 8:05 PM
Nice platter. It's got some character. I like it.

David E Keller
01-22-2012, 8:09 PM
I like it! I'd love to see the back side of this piece, too. It's a simple form that shows the inherent beauty in the wood. I hope this was a dry piece of wood that you started with otherwise it's gonna move.

charlie knighton
01-22-2012, 8:13 PM
very nice, simple but different with the pith

Jim Burr
01-22-2012, 8:24 PM
I think it's cool and need more pic's! Shape and finish look spot on!

Cary Falk
01-22-2012, 8:52 PM
Thanks everybody for the encouragement. The board was split all the way throught before I turned it. I turned another platter of the same size with walnut butterflies clear through it. It didn't look so good. The maple hade better figure but the butterfiles I think were too big. I will get some pictrues of the backside up by tomorrow.

Cary Falk
01-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Here is the back shot showing what is holding it together.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0777.jpg

Mike Cruz
01-23-2012, 1:00 PM
Those are great for the structural side of things. If you were going to put them on the front, I would think more dainty ones would be more appropiate. I also think (for the front) a darker butterfly would "pop" more. I do like the platter, though...I don't mean to sound negative.

Jim Burr
01-23-2012, 1:05 PM
Ahhh..I see now. Cool idea Cary. If you used those on the front...walnut or bloodwood may be an idea to think about. Nice save!