PDA

View Full Version : Using 2nd Monitor in a dual monitor setup as a kiosk display?

Matt Meiser
01-22-2012, 12:05 PM
This is way off topic for SMC, but there's a lot of computer geeks around here. Non geeks might want to slowly back away. :D

I want to attach a second display to a computer to display a feed from a CCTV camera. That's all easy enough and the DVR we bought has a web interface. However I want that display to stay lit all the time and display the feed. I'd still like the main monitor to black out and lock the desktop. Anyone know of a way to do this? OS is Windows 7. I don't mind installing additional software to do so as long as its not expensive.

CCTV requires an ActiveX so the browser needs to be IE. I could also consider developing something in .Net to host the ActiveX control. In fact, I'm considering doing that anyway and adding a few other pieces of information to the display like the current time, temperature from a web-enabled thermostat that has an outdoor sensor, and and indicator I have new email.

Art Mulder
01-22-2012, 1:39 PM
Nope I don't know how to do this... At work we dedicate an old/surplus PC to this sort of thing. It doesn't take any horsepower all for a single-purpose like this.

Jacob Muldowney
01-22-2012, 1:56 PM
There is one way to do it, it involves locking when the screensaver activates. Then use a thirdparty software to make sure the screensaver is only on one monitor. http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/messages.asp?Topic=9752&tmpl=

Joe Pelonio
01-22-2012, 3:36 PM
We use NVIDEA nView display management software.