PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried metal spinning?

Scott Woodson
01-22-2012, 9:15 AM
Has anyone tried metal spinning? I received a DVD from penn state ind and the process looks fairly straight forward, but I've heard that before. Some of the projects combine wood and metal and look striking. Not sure how hard the process actually is and looking to talk to someone before plunking down the $300 on a starter kit :eek:.

Scott

Bruce Pratt
01-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Got the kit for Christmas. Fairly straightforward to use. Moderate learning curve for simple forms. There are a couple of helpful videos on youtube. The mandrels in the kit are threaded for 1" x 8. If you have another dia./pitch on your drive spindle, you will need to get a tap (probably a Beall) to match the threads for your lathe. I suspect that this could become a secondary vortex, depending on what additional tools are needed. For sure, the raw materials (metal discs) are going to cost more than green wood, as they are not something you can scrounge from your local arborist!
----------
Bruce

Curt Fuller
01-22-2012, 2:04 PM
I haven't tried it but I've watched it being done. Clead Christiansen is a member of our turning club and he did the demo at last years Utah Symposium. It's pretty cool to watch how the metal starts to take shape. Clead does some really cool inserts for the necks of hollow form spinning them from brass and copper and then using different patinas. They really look sharp.

Dave Mueller
01-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Curt,
I tried to find a website for Clead Christiansen, but to no avail. Do you have any information on where I might look at a gallery of his work, especially the metal spinning enhancements?
Thanks,
Dave

Richard Allen
01-23-2012, 6:22 AM
It is true that metal spinning blanks font grow on trees. There are much cheaper sources for the different metals discs than PSI.

Several years ago Sorby tried to market metal spinning "stuff". They didn't have much luck at it and you could get a lot of tools and supplies cheap a few years back.

The main thing I recall when I tried it out was that metal spinning is tougher on bearings than woodturning. Big lathes like the big Jet, and above should have no problem from metal spinning. Lighter weight lathes such as the Jet mini will be damaged is metal spinning is pursued withe much enthusiasm.

Dale Miner
01-23-2012, 7:20 AM
I haven't seen the DVD from PSI, so can't comment on how informative it is.

In answer to your question, Yes, I have done a fair amount of metal spinning. I don't know what if any spinning tools you have, but would suggest that you get the first set of DVD's by Terry Tynan where he discusses making your own tools. The Sorby tools are, in my opinion, not sufficiently robust to actually use for anything other than the smallest of items. The ready cut spinning blanks from various sources are on the pricey side. Having said that, for a trial to see if you like spinning, they are probably a good way to start. The alloy and thickness of the aluminum can make or break the process when starting out, and the blanks marketed for spinning should be the correct alloy and thickness. Another problem in purchasing stock and making your own blanks is the difficulty in cutting a blank round enough without a circle shear. Blanks can be cut with tin snips with some practice, but it takes a good pair of snips and a steady hand. Any deviation from a true circle, nicks in the rim, or wavyness from the cutting process makes the learning curve more difficult.

I am scheduled to do a metal spinning demo at the Central Indiana Woodturners April 15th. If you are close enough to attend. it might be worth your while.

Edit: Moderators, I just thought of something. The line about the demo might violate the TOS. If so, Mea culpa, and please strike it out.

Scott Woodson
01-25-2012, 5:38 PM
Dale,

Not close enough to attend, but if you could PM me after you've been to the demo and tell me what you thought of it. I'm still sitting on the fence due to the cost of starting and adding one more habit to my addiction :-)

Scott