PDA

View Full Version : Epilog doing strange stuff

Ian Wilson (AUST)
01-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi Creekers,

Hope someone can help with my Laser.

Hit the go button to do a repeat of a job and carrage crashed into the back of the machine. Turned machine off and on hit print and did the job, put next job in (repeat), hit go and carrage them sped to the right hand side and crashed at the end and stayed there.. Turned machine off carraige came back to home, turned machine on a both DATA and POINTER lights came on and carraige wont move and can not print job through.

Of course this has happened on th weekend and the jobs urgent.

Any thoghts help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Ian

Michael Hunter
01-22-2012, 6:01 AM
Sounds like the flat cable running from the beam to the back of the machine has failed.
Worth checking the connectors - wobble them a bit to see if you can get a better connection.

Bruce Volden
01-22-2012, 9:30 AM
Ian,

When the carriage "crashes" the first thing to look at is the encoder strip and the contrast reader in which the strip sits into. Clean the strip and CAREFULLY look at the reader--will often have "dust bunnies" or hair or anything else that would disable reading the strip. Also, what Mike said is worth checking into, you can even switch the cable ends. The DATA / POINTER part has me puzzled 'tho.

Bruce

Frank Corker
01-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Sounds to me like you have slippage on the belt. On the Epilog on the left hand side (remove the panel) under the wall panel, there is a plate running over the top of the XY belt, it's level and triangular shape. Look around it and you will see that there is a tensioner. Release adjust the tensioner until the belt is firm and not slipping. (Don't over tighten the belt) Fire it up and see if the problem still exists. This part for some reason isn't mentioned in the manual but it is on the service manual.

Craig Matheny
01-22-2012, 2:43 PM
Regarding the flat cable Mike talked about you can flip that cable end to end and use a set of un-used wires quick fix if it works order new cable. If it continues call Epilog on Monday they are great

Ian Wilson (AUST)
01-23-2012, 8:18 PM
Thanks so much! I tried all your suggestions, fired her up and bingo!! Away she goes...I think it was dirty or loose connections in the flat white ribbon. The belt tention looked good thanks Frank.

Panick over... job done...thanks for eveyones help.

Regards Ian

Ian Wilson (AUST)
01-23-2012, 8:22 PM
Thanks Mike...I think you nailed it as its running well now. Much appreciated.

Regards Ian

Ken Anderson
01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
My brand new Mini 24 did same thing the very first time I turned it on. Spent 45 minutes on phone with technician and they sent me a new mother board by 9 next morning. At least it was under warranty. You might give them a call.