PDA

View Full Version : Footed Maple Bowl

Nate Davey
01-21-2012, 9:01 PM
This is the middle core from the large maple bowl I posted yesterday. The foot was something I saw in Richard Raffans book. Dry sanded to 320 finish is Dr. Woodshop Walnut Oil and Carnuba Wax, burnished on the lathe. Comments and criticism appreciated.

Jon McElwain
01-21-2012, 9:17 PM
I like it! The foot is attractive, and I really like the delicate rim. It looks like the wall thickness is more than the rim lets on? Only minor critique is that in the profile it looks like a little bit of a flat spot up on the top portion of the bowl. Good use of the heartwood/sapwood!

Harry Robinette
01-21-2012, 9:26 PM
I like it also. Really nice piece very delicate and looks lite and almost fragile like it was glass.

Mark Hubl
01-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Nice bowl, love the wood and the foot. Looks good. My only nit is that the ogee is a bit of a tease. Could be a bit more curvy for my tastes.

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Really nice bowl Nate. Normally I don't like a foot on a bowl but this one looks good and like the nice simple form.

Curt Fuller
01-21-2012, 11:15 PM
I really like the bowl and I think the beaded foot adds a nice bit of extra class to it. It almost looks like it's sitting on a saucer. I'm always as fan of natural edges and voids so I like how this bowl has a nice sophisticated curve to it but still is a little rough around the edge. That's a really nice bowl!

BTW, if you want to explore some unusual footed bowl designs, check out this site and look at Bob Stocksdale's gallery. A lot of other good stuff there too. http://www.themintmuseums.org/mason/masonsite/artistindex.html

Kathy Marshall
01-22-2012, 2:19 AM
Very nice! I like the shape and the foot adds a nice touch.

John Keeton
01-22-2012, 6:03 AM
Nate, I like the foot, and as I have commented previously, it seems that an ogee form nearly requires one in order to have lift. I do agree that the curves on this one are a bit different, but you have done a beautiful job of turning this piece and the wood is very nice.

Richard Jones
01-22-2012, 6:49 AM
I would echo Jon Mc about the small flat spot near the rim, but only us turners will see it........:D Great use of material (and I would suspect that the flat spot is due to some pucker factor over that inclusion at the rim--would have been for me, anyway!), love the form, and I really like the foot. Guess I've just got a foot thing........

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Michelle Rich
01-22-2012, 7:51 AM
since it was a cored piece, I bet you have little room to get a larger ogee, & the rim must have had quite a pucker factor. So I think its quite a stunning bowl.

Nate Davey
01-22-2012, 8:47 AM
Thank you all for the very kind comments. Michelle beat me to the cored aspect. I would have liked more amplitude on the concave curve, but ran out of wood. The rim is thinner than the main body of the bowl. I had an old turner tell me once to "Always make the rim thin, it makes the piece look more delicate." Not being a big fan of "thin" I don't often do it but for this bowl it seemed like the right thing to do. The only time the hole in the rim was noticeable was when sanding. Thanks again for the advice and comments.

Russell Eaton
01-22-2012, 9:04 AM
very nice bowl Nate. I like the foot detail as well. Thanks for showing.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-22-2012, 9:17 AM
Nate - I like this bowl a lot! Shape is fine to me, the rim is ALWAYS going to be thinner at some point that the rest of the body... In the first picture (perhaps it's just me?) I can see a man on the left facing a creature on the right - formed by the knots, any name for this piece? Is it for you, or for sale? The foots fine - I'd have put one on too, just to give it an touch more stability than just a rounded under outside shape. I know there are people on the forum who prefer to 'lift' the item, and some that don't - my wife has a peculiar penchant for 'hidden' feet, where the bowl sweeps down to almost touch the flat surface it's standing on. In the end, it's all personal preference - yours, or the customers!

David E Keller
01-22-2012, 11:42 AM
It's a neat piece, Nate! This foot really works for me, and I like the little 'defect' near the rim. I'd be surprised if this didn't sell rather quickly.