PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting With Norfolk Island Pine, 3 of 3

BILL DONAHUE
01-21-2012, 8:07 PM
This is the third attempt at norfolk island pine and the first with wood that was green and not retrieved from the garbage. This piece wasn't very spaulted so I induced spaulting by moistening it and placing it in a plastic bag for a few weeks before starting. I followed the same techniques as with the other two - first soaking it in concentrated dishwashing detergent for at least 24 hours for ease of turning and then successive submersions of at least 24 hours each for over two months in a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits for translucency. After each 24 hour period in the BLO mix the piece was allowed to dry out for at least a day and from what I've read, drying out is very important. With this one I concentrated on getting the piece to a uniform thinness of about 1/16", something that to me was quite a challenge, and the Sasha Gast posts on this site helped me do it. It has a very dramatic look when placed in a bookshelf out of the room's direct light but with a small light directly over it. It is 8 3/4" by 5 1/2". Appreciate your comments.

John W Dixon
01-21-2012, 8:15 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! Whatever you are doing.......it's working.

Cecil Walborn
01-21-2012, 8:18 PM
I do not say much in the forum, but I have say that is a great piece and good work getting it there. Ron Kent of Hawaii has done this type of work yours look as good as his does. Keep up the great work.

Cecil

Eric Dritsas
01-21-2012, 8:19 PM
Wow, that's terrific! Your patience and hard work paid off. Great piece

David E Keller
01-21-2012, 8:29 PM
This is my favorite of the three, Bill... And I loved the other two! Absolutely stunning!

When you removed the piece from the BLO solution, did you sand it before putting it back in the solution? If so, did you sand it wet or after it had dried? After the final soak, what was your finishing process? This shape is exactly what I'm aiming to turn although I'll have to make some adjustments due to the size of the blanks that I have.

Curt Fuller
01-21-2012, 8:30 PM
I've really enjoyed seeing these three pieces as you've posted them. They've all been beautiful and you've done a wonderful job of bring out the best in the NIP. Thanks for posting them.

Nate Davey
01-21-2012, 9:06 PM
Spectacular. Amazing how it glows. Love all three in the series

Harry Robinette
01-21-2012, 9:43 PM
Outstanding work simple Outstanding,The shape is just perfect for the wood and the glowing finish is just unbelievable. How ever you did it,it payed off.

Mark Hubl
01-21-2012, 10:09 PM
These experiments have been interesting. This is my favorite of the bunch. Very nice looking specimen. This piece of NIP is beautiful, nice form. Well done.

Scott Hackler
01-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Most excellent results! Hope you have access to more NIP, because you seem to have a knack at creating some really nice pieces using it.

....now to source some of that wood...... :)

Kathy Marshall
01-22-2012, 2:17 AM
Wow! That is just spectacular! The other two were also great, but you hit this one out of the park!

John Keeton
01-22-2012, 6:09 AM
Bill, not to diminish your work on the other two, but this one is clearly the winner!! Perfect form and the final result is just tremendous. I can't imagine the hours of work in just the finishing process! I assume the initial purchase of all the BLO, mineral spirits and detergent has been sufficient for all three pieces, and perhaps more?? Just curious about how long you will be able to use the soaking materials?

I definitely need to try some of this wood!! I have thought about it many times, but you are pushing me over the edge!

Michelle Rich
01-22-2012, 8:01 AM
it appears the work was worth the effort. Jeepers 1/16? turning wizard! pretty lighted or not.

Bob Rotche
01-22-2012, 8:37 AM
Wow! Just stunning! I agree that this is the best of the 3 and that is saying something as the other 2 were outstanding as well. This is as nice as any NIP I've seen. Looks like glass!

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-22-2012, 9:27 AM
Amazing colours in that wood! Shape, finish, time and effort - I bow to your knowledge and dedication!

Bernie Weishapl
01-22-2012, 9:41 AM
Bill that is beautiful. Awesome colors in that piece lighted or not.

Jeff Fagen
01-22-2012, 9:47 AM
I saw a piece that Jeff Nicol did using this technique,I am amazed at the translucent effect and beauty of simple pine.Good job on the form too.

BILL DONAHUE
01-22-2012, 8:29 PM
Thanks for the kind comments.
David, In most cases I did wet sand with 400 grit. Quite often though I'd have to go back later and either dry sand or use steel wool on it. As the weeks went by the wood had a tendency to seep in certain spots so I'd have to go back with a paper towel and sandpaper. In fact, I read on this site that a finish could be applied after a few days (maybe 3 days) but that was not my experience. After the last submersion the wood continued to seep BLO for at least 3 to 4 weeks. I tried several finishes and ended up liking wipe on poly-clear gloss the best. It accentuates the values best(relative contrast between lights and darks) and of course, it's the most translucent.

John, I bought 4 gallons of concentrated dishwashing detergent, 3 gallons of boiled linseed oil, 3 gallons of mineral spirits and one Lowes five gallon bucket. Already had another five gallon bucket from fishing, which by the way, was taller and, therefore, better. Total cost of supplies around $100. Have done 3 pieces and could easily get another 3 pieces (maybe more) before having to top off the buckets. Still, one would have to plan on doing several pieces to justify the expense. The wood is about $20 to $40 per piece and the cost of shipping is almost as high. I intend to go to the Florida Woodturning Symposium in two weeks and will get more wood hopefully at decent prices.

Thomas Heck
01-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Great job! Those are really nice.

Baxter Smith
01-22-2012, 11:13 PM
These just keep getting better and better Bill. Sounds like quite a finishing process but your results are stunning!

Jim Burr
01-23-2012, 9:56 AM
That's a lot of effort Bill! And boy did it pay off. This one is my favorite, not that there was anything wrong with the others...just how I work up today!

Van Huskey
01-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Absolutely gorgeous!

steven carter
01-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Bill, I think it is safe to say the "experiment" is over, and it was a huge success! Very nice translucence, the shape is outstanding, the only think I could complain about it is that it is not sitting at my house:(.

Steve