PDA

View Full Version : mystery wood hollow form...

Russell Eaton
01-21-2012, 7:53 PM
This is a piece of wood that was just about gone too far to fool with. Luck for my I am a FOOL. I have no idea what it is other than spalted... Any help would be great. I hollowed it with a monster rig that I got from a member here. That rig ROCKS!!! I had a fun time messing with the different cutters and even adapted some from my old system. I has cracked several different places, but I guess that is to be expected. It is 9" high and 5" wide, sanded to 400 grit and has a spray lacquer finish. Comments are welcome good or bad. Please be patience with my photo's, I am trying to improve them. Thanks for looking. Russell

Jamie Donaldson
01-21-2012, 8:22 PM
I can say with some certainty that this is 'pecker hickory. The black spalt spots are often found in circular patterns as a result of woodpecker holes through the bark, that allow the spalting to start in the cambium. The form is excellent, but you have both flash and ambient light, and you should turn off the flash. The 2 side lights are at the same level and intensity, and balanced lighting diminishes the perception of depth. Move 1 of the side lights further away and lower, so that there is some shadow on 1 side to enhance the appearance of depth to the image.

Peter Blair
01-21-2012, 8:23 PM
Russel. Great shape, this is my favourite for 'vase' shapes. Can't help on the type of wood but really enjoyed looking at it!

Steve Vaughan
01-21-2012, 8:43 PM
That is a fine looking vase hf. Love the color and grain. It does look like hickory, but I'm gonna say pecan...just because.

Harry Robinette
01-21-2012, 9:49 PM
Very nice wood and form. You really done a great job on this. I really like the proportions you used for the form.

Dan Forman
01-21-2012, 9:55 PM
Lovely form and very interesting wood!

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Really nice HF and wood is exceptional.

Rich Aldrich
01-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Nice work. Really nice wood, whatever its.

Mike Cruz
01-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Really like the vase. Glad you "saved" it. My vote would be on Ash. Unless you don't have Ash in your area...:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
01-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Russell - you done good! Beautiful form and the wood has all sorts of character! Which Monster system did you use - the captured or articulated? Just wondering as they both make hollowing a lot of fun!

Cody Colston
01-22-2012, 1:42 AM
Beautiful vessel. My guess was Hickory before I read any of the others.

Kathy Marshall
01-22-2012, 1:54 AM
Very nice Russell! Nice form and some cool looking spalted hickory/ash/pecan/whatever.

John Keeton
01-22-2012, 6:26 AM
Beautiful work, Russell!! Love the form, and I agree on hickory! Jamie has been around for a looooooong time:D, and has seen more wood turned than many of us, so I trust his judgement, as well.

Michelle Rich
01-22-2012, 7:58 AM
wood species? "wish I had this wood here" :-) splendid!

Russell Eaton
01-22-2012, 8:20 AM
Thanks for the nice comments. Steve, I used the articulated for this one, I am still waiting for the captive system to be shipped. Should see it in a week or so.

David E Keller
01-22-2012, 11:18 AM
It's pretty wood and a nice looking piece! I'm a 'bottom tucker', but that's just a matter of preference for me. I'm also going through a 'matte' phase, so I'd consider knocking back the shine on that lacquer a bit... Neither of those is intended as a critique, but rather, they're just things that popped into my head. I think it's a heck of nice looking turning!

Bill Bolen
01-22-2012, 1:18 PM
Prettiest Hickory vase I've laid eyes on! 'Ya done good.

Baxter Smith
01-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Great vase out of a colorful piece of wood! The base could be tucked a bit but that is just a different option! Well done!

Jim Burr
01-23-2012, 9:52 AM
Amazing work Russell! I pretty sure that wood came from the NowayIdtouchit tree. Had some of that...I send it to Keller!

Bill Bulloch
01-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Hickory? Perhaps, but I have some Pecan that looks like that. So, I am casting my vote for the Pecan; you know how much of that is floating around here since the tornado last year. Want some more? I have a ton of it, mostly without the large streak of heartwood like the one you show. I have cut the pith out of over half of it, gave a bunch away, but still have 10 -15 logs with the pith in that I need to cut before they start to crack -- if it ever stops raining.

Jamie Donaldson
01-23-2012, 1:00 PM
Bill- I've only turned 1 piece of Pecancrete, and think I remember that hickory and pecan are close siblings in appearance and characteristics. We don't have pecan trees this far north, and I'm curious about the possibility of 'pecker marks appearing in both? Do you have any such info?

William Burroughs
01-23-2012, 4:34 PM
Beautiful form! I agree with Mr Donaldson; the wood is hickory.

Tim Rinehart
01-23-2012, 4:55 PM
That's a piece with some character. I like it. Flows well, and shows off that cool chunk of 'pecker hickory'...hmmm, I wonder if Jamie was making that up...almost too funny a name to believe. Correct name probably something like "Carya woodpeckerus"! Well done.

Jamie Donaldson
01-23-2012, 8:38 PM
Tim- that's the name the old timers used, and it fits the description so well. We don't want no woodpeckerin' us!

Russell Eaton
01-23-2012, 9:02 PM
Jamie the woodpeckers love pecan-crete. I have a piece or two here. I just bought SEVERAL thousand dollars of equiptment to process pecans with. I am fixing to build a 26'×60' shop to put the pecan equiptment and a woodgurning studio in. 20' will be for the pecan processing ant 40' for woodturning.

Jamie Donaldson
01-23-2012, 9:11 PM
Russell- if you have the opportunity, place a piece of hickory next to a piece of pecan and tell us what the differences are. I believe they're very similar, but have never been able to compare that closely.

Steve Busey
01-23-2012, 9:26 PM
Ya done good, Russell. You're starting to get the hang of this lathing stuff!

That white sapwood looks like a piece of hickory I had around here.

Russell Eaton
01-24-2012, 6:45 AM
Jamie I don't have a piece of hickory to put it beside but I can post a picture of the log I have here. I'm sure someone will have a photo to compare it with.

Russell Eaton
01-24-2012, 8:02 AM
Jamie this is the only piece of pecan that I have, sorry it is very wet. I guess you can tell the woodpeckers love pecan trees.