PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia maple natural edge bowl...

Russell Eaton
01-21-2012, 7:21 PM
I got this tree from a local tree trimmer. He is also a turner so he knows good wood when he gets it. I managed to get 3 logs from him and this is the first one that I turned. It is one of my best pieces to date and it almost got sold today while I was working. I think the only reason she didn't pull the trigger because I needed 1 more coat of lacquer on the bottom. It is sanded to 600 grit and has several coats of Deft rattle can lacquer. I didn't get the rims even because the log had a odd shape. I have been working so much I have only completed 3 pieces since Christmas. I will post 1 in a few min. the other sold this morning. Comments are welcome good or bad. Thanks for looking. Russell

Jim Burr
01-21-2012, 7:24 PM
Never having been a fan of this form, this is cool! I'd like to see you ease the foot a bit so it doesn't have that "plop" look to the base. Beautiful wood and the rest of the form does a good job of showing off the grain! High five!!

Jon McElwain
01-21-2012, 9:24 PM
I have been working so much I have only completed 3 pieces since Christmas.

3 Pieces since Christmas? Man, you've got about 2-1/2 more than me!!

Good looking bowl there. I really like all the action in the grain.

Harry Robinette
01-21-2012, 9:35 PM
Beautiful piece of wood and nice shape but.
I agree with Jim B the shape is nice but the foot area needs to be a little smaller or rounded a little to make it lift up from whatever it's set on.

Dan Forman
01-21-2012, 9:48 PM
I like it, it's very deep for a natural edge, but it makes good use of all of that wonderful figure in the lower portion. Too much smaller in the foot would make it seem a little tippy, especially if it is used to hold anything. There is definitely a fun-house mirror face in the first pic.

Dan

John Keeton
01-22-2012, 6:15 AM
Beautiful wood!! This form is not one of my favorites either, though it does seem to be very popular. If this bowl is to be functional, the foot seems OK - for art, it is a bit large and I do not care for the reverse ogee appearance of the top portion. For my tastes, the curvature should be consistent from foot to rim for this type of piece.

Notwithstanding, you did some very nice work here, and obviously there is a market for them!

Russell Eaton
01-22-2012, 8:48 AM
I turned this as a functional piece, I felt if the bottom was any smaller the piece would be top heavy. The lady that almost bought this bowl did buy a pen and wants to buy other items as well. I still sold over 100$ worth of turnings while I was working yesterday so that is a good day in my book. Thanks for the honest feedback and I may start a new piece this afternoon after Church.

David E Keller
01-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Neat piece of wood, Russell! Since I have a penchant for small, rounded bottoms, I struggle to appreciate this type of form... Bob Stockdale's signature forms don't really appeal to me although they're widely appreciated in the turning world, so this is obviously a case where my taste is actually a lack thereof.:o I understand the need for a wide base, but I wonder if you could 'pinch' the area at about the junction of the bottom and middle thirds then flare back out to a wide foot.... Sort of like a Rude Osolnik candlestick with that hourglass curve. None of that is meant to be critical... I'm just thinking out loud and trying to sort out a way to incorporate the natural edge bowl and a wide base in a different way.