PDA

View Full Version : gluing veneer to solid core door

Caron Miller
01-21-2012, 6:45 PM
I have been using a solid core door as a bench top for too many years. I am ready to fix this (kind of, no budget for solid top at this time) and add my vises that have been sitting under the bench for just as many years.

Recently I came across some resawn lumber that will finish off at 1/4" thick. I would like to glue this to the solid core door. The door has a particle board core with 3/16" fir veneer on both sides now.

Am I looking for trouble only putting new veneer on one side? If so, does the veneer on the bottom need to be the same species? What type of glue would you recommend?

Thanks for all input.

Mike Henderson
01-21-2012, 8:18 PM
When you glue veneer to only one surface, the water in the glue (assuming you use water based glue) will cause that side to expand, which may warp the panel. Also, depending on the finishing, you can have one side absorb water from the environment faster than the other side and that my cause the panel to warp, also.

It doesn't matter what veneer you put on the non-show side.

For glue, a urea formaldehyde (like ProGlue) is good. It'll give you sufficient open time to get the panel in press. The best way to press it will be in a vacuum bag.

Mike

Sam Murdoch
01-21-2012, 8:37 PM
On the other hand if your solid core door is fixed down to a base of some sort and it has remained flat you will have no issues apply another top to it - veneer or otherwise.