PDA

View Full Version : Help with work in progress

Mike Tilley
01-21-2012, 5:12 PM
Working on this piece for a donation to the Elks lodge220615220616220617220618 crippled children's auction wasn't sure about the size of the top ring should i keep it as is or should it be a little shorter? I stopped here knowing that i could turn part of it off later rather than having to add something back on. What do you think? I have another week to finish so all comments are welcome.

Dennis Ford
01-21-2012, 5:24 PM
It looks good so far. I believe a cove in the side of the top ring would add a little to the shape. It appears that you have enough thickness for this.

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2012, 5:57 PM
The height looks fine to me and I agree with Dennis' suggestion of using a cove to continue the curve. Looking forward to seeing this once it is finished!

Robert McGowen
01-21-2012, 6:18 PM
It looks like you have enough thickness left to simply continue the sweeping curve of the vase into the top ring. I would leave the ring height the same and the inside edge the same. Think of the bottom half of an hour glass shape. I don't think you have enough room and thickness left to make a cove. YMMV

Good luck with the auction!

Ken Glass
01-21-2012, 6:24 PM
Mike,
I agree with all the above. The look of the straight up top collar might change appearance if you cove the top collar as suggested. A very nice looking Segmented piece too. What are the woods you choose as they are well blended in this one?

Jim Burr
01-21-2012, 7:33 PM
I like your cabinets! Other than that...I'm a loser at these :o;) Looks good so far!:D

David E Keller
01-21-2012, 8:20 PM
I know nothing of segmenting, but I think the height of the collar 'pushes' the feature ring down too far on the form. Perhaps it's meant to be as it is, but I'd rather see the feature ring near the 1/3 point on the form(top or bottom third) with a more continuous curve... The curve seems to flatten out at the feature ring as it sits currently. I think the overall form might be better for my tastes if the top ring was eliminated entirely and the area just below the feature ring was thinned down to make the curve more consistent into the bottom.

I've noticed that much of the segmented work I see differs from the 'classic' proportions that I'm accustomed to seeing for other hollow forms and vases... That makes me think that there's something about segmented forms that I don't understand. I really admire your patience and skill crafting these pieces, but I'm afraid I'm fairly ignorant of the world of segmenting. Good on you for donating your work to a great cause!

John Keeton
01-22-2012, 5:46 AM
...I'd rather see the feature ring near the 1/3 point on the form(top or bottom third) with a more continuous curve... The curve seems to flatten out at the feature ring as it sits currently...I've noticed that much of the segmented work I see differs from the 'classic' proportions that I'm accustomed to seeing for other hollow forms and vases... That makes me think that there's something about segmented forms that I don't understand.I agree fully with David's comments. Rarely do I see a segmented piece with good form. There are a few that post them, Robert being one of them, and he would be able to speak to this phenomena better than would I. My knowledge of segmenting is near nothing, but it seems that with a non-segmented piece, one has the freedom to "play" with the outside form prior to hollowing in order to get it "right." With a segmented piece, the whole turning must be planned from the outset prior to construction of the rings. One is then limited considerably by the amount of wood thickness in the rings.

You have done a very nice job with the joinery and I love the wood combinations. The cause is a great one, and I applaud your willingness to help the cause. I have found that most of the public simply does not view turnings the same as turners, and I predict the recipients will be very pleased with what you have done.

Jamie Donaldson
01-22-2012, 1:41 PM
For too many years segmented works often had the form of beer steins or flower pots, and a recent revolution in segmenting has been evolving into better designs. There is a segmenting chapter of the AAW that has been most responsible for this new design awareness, much due to the work of Malcolm Tibbetts and Curt Theobald and a few others. Check it out, and they will be having their 3rd segmenting symposium this year, I believe to be held in Lake Tahoe area.

Nate Davey
01-22-2012, 1:49 PM
Wonder why it would be held at Lake Tahoe??????:confused::D