PDA

View Full Version : Lathe question from newbie

Lynn Reid
01-21-2012, 5:07 PM
Hi all...just bought a new mini lathe to make knobs and small parts. I have been researching lathe chucks so that I can turn vases and small bowls. The spindle is 3/4-16...also a MT1. I am on a limited budget... thinking about one of the harbor freight chucks. I am assuming the chuck screws on and you're ready to go? Could any of you make any suggestions that are economical but sound. I have never used one...I have watched a good many videos...I am wondering if there is anything I need to know prior to buying one...other than it being self centering. Thanks for any help!!

Lynn

Mark Hubl
01-21-2012, 5:16 PM
Lynn,

You will get many opinions on this, personally I use Teknatool chucks. Since you have a 3/4 16 spindle and are looking for something economical, I would check out Penn State Industries. In the mini class I think they offer a decent product and have some very economical bundles. Some will say to look to the future because the power of the vortex is strong and one will be upgrading in the future. Valid point, but I think for around $90.00 you really can't go wrong. Can always get an adapter later on. If you move to another vendor the starter chuck can be used for lots of stuff as well. Most that get serious have a few chucks.

Doug W Swanson
01-21-2012, 5:16 PM
I haven't seen the HF chucks but I've got a couple from Penn State Industries. They are fairly economical and decent chucks IMO. The Barracuda chuck even comes with 4 sets of jaws.....

Hope this helps...

Gary Max
01-21-2012, 5:21 PM
First question that comes to mind is which mini did you buy? Some are just to small to attempt this.

Scott Hackler
01-21-2012, 7:37 PM
Gary does have a good point here. I have seen a few lathes at Harbor Freight that are so small and inexpensive that the chuck would cost more than the lathe itself. Besides, for what you want to do, you don't need a chuck....it's just handy.

Bob Bergstrom
01-21-2012, 10:56 PM
I would use a face plate and a glue block first. As stated you may want to see if the lathe is capable first. The glue block cost pennies. Just my "2 cents"

Curt Fuller
01-21-2012, 11:49 PM
If you do decide to buy a chuck, there are some available from Penn State and Craftsupplies that come threaded for a 1" x 8tpi spindle but also have a 3/4" x 16 insert. That's a pretty good setup because it will fit the the lathe you have now and also fit the standard 1" x 8tpi that is standard on most mini lathes.

Craftsupplies sells it as an Apprentice
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Apprentice___Apprentice__Mini_Chuck___app _mini_chuck?Args=

Penn State as the Barracuda
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-CSC2000C-Barracuda-Lathe-System/dp/B000KICC62/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327207451&sr=8-2

Both are a good started because of all the different jaws that come with them. The Apprentice is a little easier to use because it's keyed. The Barracuda uses two tommy bars that can be a little awkward.

Lynn Reid
01-22-2012, 3:35 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions...especially the faceplate reply. The lathe is a HF 12"...I wanted to start on something inexpensive in case it doesn't go well...it works very well so far. I was impressed. I already has a set of old Buck Brothers chisels. It came with two faceplates...a 6" and a 2". It simply didn't occur to me to use a glue block on the face plates. My worry there is dismounting the turning without leaving a whole lot of clean up on the bottom. I have read about using turners tape...or carpet tape to mount instead of the glue block. I will also need to drill a hole to make a vase. I think I will buy a MT1 drill chuck instead...unless there is a trick for that!!! Thanks again for all you input!

Lynn

Jim Burr
01-22-2012, 4:31 PM
I'll have to respectfully call Curt on this one. I have a Barracuda and it uses a chuck key, not bars and comes with 4 jaw sets and a screw chuck. Although the one he referred to has bars, better ones by Barracuda are easily found for slightly more. I'm turning 14" platters with no problem.

Scott Lux
01-22-2012, 4:53 PM
Lynn, I had the Wilton close of that lathe. I turned a couple hundred pens and bottle stoppers on it, and a few small bowls. It's not a bad lathe at all. I only sold it so I could get a bigger lathe.

I did get the PSI economy four jaw chuck, but you don't need that for knobs and the like. I think a HF drill chuck is a good idea. A set of Benjamin's Best pen turning tools would also server you pretty well on that lathe. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCPM3.html

Carl Civitella
01-22-2012, 6:27 PM
If you are into making small parts, you may want to invest in PSI`s collet chuck. It has 5 collets and a nut to change the 3/4x16 spindle into 1x8 spindle. You can use the collet chuck for many functions and then you can get any 4 jaw chuck you want for other things using the 1x8 nut. Carl

Bob Bergstrom
01-22-2012, 8:46 PM
If you want to boar a hole in a blank, use a gouge to make a cone shape at the center line. Clamp a desired drill bit in a vice grips and push it into the cone depression. It will drill the hole right down the center. A piece of tape wrapped around the bit will act as a depth gauge. No need for a drill chuck for that. I have a drill bit in a 8" long handle and use it to take out the center all the time. It gets rid of that bothersome nub in the middle.

Don Alexander
01-22-2012, 11:20 PM
when you put a glue block on use a piece of brown paper bag in between the glue block and the blank makes it much easier to remove the glue block later without a major hassle cleaning it up afterward........... just use enough glue to soak thru the paper .... i always glue between the paer and the blank and also between the paper and the glue block (i use medium CA glue and never have had a glue joint break) HTH