PDA

View Full Version : Recycle help

Gary Simmons
01-21-2012, 4:23 PM
Ive been given a wooden handrail from an old building (100 yrs) cut into sections and was asked to turn some pens. When I cut, I was surprised to find it in two pieces, glued to form one handrail. (didnt think they did that many years ago) I questioned the direction of the grain and have tried turning it two different ways. It turns horribly and eventually blows apart. Its not a solid piece of wood obviously and Im thinking its not worth trying to turn after 5 tries.

Perhaps the rail wasnt as old as the building.

anyone ever attempt something like this before? and if so any thoughts on making it work? Im thinking it cuts across the grain to much to turn.....

any suggestions would be helpful...thanks

Ted Calver
01-21-2012, 4:29 PM
Perhaps the blanks would stabilize if you soak them with thin CA glue?

John Keeton
01-21-2012, 5:04 PM
A pic might help.....

Mark Hubl
01-21-2012, 5:26 PM
Is it oak?? Jointers/Carpenters been gluein up wood for centuries. As is the case now, big thick wood has stability issues, laminates tend to ease these. Anyway, where is the glue line? Can you cut on the glue line and end up with large enough solid pieces to get pen blanks. I would try that approach. Is it blowing up on the glue line? Is the wood blowing up because of dry rot? Like John said a pic might help.

Gary Simmons
01-26-2012, 7:35 AM
221345221346 Here are the photos of the bannister rail I cant turn. Ive tried cutting blanks both horizontal and vertical. You can see the glue line in the middle. Ive tried cutting the bottom off and just using the top. Again no luck. Either way I get chip out or it breaks up. Any thoughts? it does look like oak, very hard.