PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Walnut Platter

Thomas Heck
01-21-2012, 3:51 PM
I guess you would call this a platter. I turned it this morning and sanded it. It is still a little wet. I did put mineral oil on it. Don't know if that was the right thing to do. Or what would be the best. We are in Revival at our church and I was going to give it to the evangelist. Is there anytype of finish you can use in this situation? It kindof stayed dark looking near the edge on the inside of the corners. I know it would be best to let it dry. But I'm kindof in a hurry.

Ed Morgano
01-21-2012, 4:04 PM
Thomas,
I use ACE brand clear enamel in a spray can. It works fine and dries fast in a situation like this. And, most call that a NE Bowl.

Jim Burr
01-21-2012, 6:07 PM
Amen! I'd have a lash at some spray lacquer or sanding sealer for a hurry up. Mineral oil is cool for specific applications...but it never cures. Based on what you have there...I'd make more and pass 'em out, you make a fine NE bowl!

Steve Vaughan
01-21-2012, 7:34 PM
That's a great bowl there. I like that heartwood showing through the middle. I was thinking that mineral oil would take quite a while to dry? And in the suggestions above, you'd be spraying a quick drying finish over the not-yet-dry oil. Seems to me that, if anything, spray shellac might be the better product as it sticks to nearly anything and is a natural sealer for 'oily' woods.

Jamie Donaldson
01-21-2012, 7:43 PM
I doubt you'll be able to apply any finish over the mineral oil that will dry without defects, so best to leave it as is. Since mineral oil never drys, finishes will not stick to it, but it is an excellent finish for "user" bowls.

Rich Aldrich
01-21-2012, 8:17 PM
Beautiful platter or shallow bowl. Nice job on the natural edge. They are challenging.

Thomas Heck
01-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. The bark was on there good, hopefully it won't come off when it dries. Will it usually stay or come of when it dries if not finished?

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2012, 10:55 PM
That is a good looking NE bowl. I agree with Jamie that you will never get a surface/film finish to stick to mineral oil as it never dries. I did the same thing about 5 yrs ago and I can tell ya any film finish you put on it will not dry and will remain a sticky mess. I took mineral spirits and removed it. I would leave it as is.