PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to seal sapele before applying filler

Alan Lightstone
01-21-2012, 2:03 PM
I was planning on using NGR dye, then filling pores in a sapele tabletop, then using a number of coats of Waterlox as a final finish.

Do I need to use a coat of dewaxed shellac before applying the filler, or can I just go ahead and fill after sanding?

Will the dewaxed shellac decrease the absorbtion of Waterlox to the surface, and not give that warm, in-the-wood finish?

I was planning on using Pore-O-Pac for a sealer.

Scott Holmes
01-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Alan,

Sanding after using dye can leave and irregular color (unless you are wanting to enhance the grain of a curly or birdseye maple)

Dewaxed shellac will not decrease the absorbtion of Waterlox to the surface. Waterlox is a varnish. it is not an in-the wood finish. It will give it a nice warm color.

If you plan to add color to the Pore-O-Pac filler it is wise to seal it first with shellac; so the color doesn't bleed into the surrounding wood from the filler. A light seal coat of dewaxed shellac will give you a good foundation for the Waterlox.

Alan Lightstone
01-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks, Scott. That's what I thought.

So the order is:
Trans Tint Dye in a 50/50 mixture of denatured alcohol and lacquer thinner (NGR mix)
Light 1# seal coat of dewaxed shellac
Pore-O-Pac filler with Japan Color in it
Waterlox

Does that sound right? There's no need for dewaxed shellac AFTER the filler also, is there?

Also, is a 1# cut of dewaxed shellac the right concentration, or should I use another?

Scott Holmes
01-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Where did you get the denatured alcohol (DNA) and lacquer thinner 50/50 mix? That's a new one on me. I've seen the 50/50 with DNA and water and don't know why anyone would do that other than maybe to save a little money. Of course it's no longer NGR with the water so why not use just water and save even more money.

Use DNA for a NGR dye with TransTints.

Alan Lightstone
01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
I got it from TransTint's website. They suggest it as an NGR mix for TransTint. I just double-checked it. It's there on their technical data sheet.

Do you see any problems with it? I have used it before. Seems to work OK. Not sure what advantages it has over 100% DNA.

Scott Holmes
01-23-2012, 9:42 PM
No, I just never heard of mixing them; am not sure what it does that the 100% DNA will do for the dye. LT costs more than DNA.