PDA

View Full Version : Experience with The Hammer A341 A Jointer VS. Refurbish Northfield Jointer

Douglas Snyder
01-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Since I have room, I did not want to get a combination jointer/planer. However, Hammer does have a jointer (16 inch) only option and you can add a Byrd head to it. I also found a used late model Northfield 16 jointer. The Northfield is getting refurbish (new single phase motor, new bearings and paint) and I can also have a Byrd head install to replace the 3 blade cutter head. Since the Northfield is going to be a third more expensive than the Hammer, I would like to get you experience using the Hammer as a jointer. (I understand it exactly as the combo unit, just not with the planer stuff added.)

I read the Hammer Manual and I did not see anything about adjusting the tables to be coplaner. Is it possible to adjust them and how difficult task is it? How ofter they need to be adjusted?

The Northfield is designed that they are coplaner from the factory. Unless they were abused the table will be coplaner and no adjustment is need.

I do not run a production shop. I just want a jointer to provide me with good services and not require significant downtime to adjust the jointer to give good performance. The Hammer is moveable and you can add table extensions and cost significantly less. Any thoughts...what your actual experience with either the Hammer or Northfield. Thanks

Joe Jensen
01-21-2012, 3:08 PM
I have a Felder KF700SP saw/shaper combo and I love it. I also have a 1975 SCM 12" jointer that I refurbed. I love the jointer too. But, If the refurb is done well on the Northfield and the beds are coplaner that would by mt pick. Resale would be better and it will always be perfectly aligned.

David Kumm
01-21-2012, 4:09 PM
Doug, you have to remember that the Hammer is a good lower end euro machine but the Northfield, Oliver, Porter, Newman, Yates, SCMI are high end. You are comparing a 3-4K machine with a 10-20K machine Dave

Van Huskey
01-22-2012, 1:19 AM
Doug, you have to remember that the Hammer is a good lower end euro machine but the Northfield, Oliver, Porter, Newman, Yates, SCMI are high end. You are comparing a 3-4K machine with a 10-20K machine Dave

Yep, apples and oranges. A fully refurbed Northfield would be the last jointer a production shop would need, it will be the last jointer your great grandchildren need.

Jeff Duncan
01-23-2012, 5:50 PM
Whose doing the work on the Northfield? What's the condition? You have to know exactly what refurbished means as it can be very different to different people. In my mind the tables being adjusted should be part of the refurb. Having said that Northfield in general would be the better machine. However once you start shopping used machines there are a LOT of options out there nowadays.

Also do you NEED the Byrd head? I know it's the IN thing around here, but I still run straight knives on my 16" as the cost of a Byrd head would be close to what I paid for the machine. And at that price I don't mind spending an hour or so changing the knives once a year. If your not production you'll likely get much longer life!

good luck,
JeffD

Steven Satur
01-23-2012, 6:19 PM
Go for the Northfield. I pick up a 12" this summer, rebuilt it and have to say it is the best machine in the shop. Plus Northfield is very helpfull if you ever have a problem. I called them before I purchased my machine and was told who the org. owner was, when he bought it and how much he paid. Also parts are not a problem.

Steve