PDA

View Full Version : Experience with ESTA Planer and Tersa Knives on a Jointer

Douglas Snyder
01-21-2012, 12:23 PM
I am looking at getting a jointer and I can replace the 3 blade head with either a Byrd or convert the head to accept ESTA disposable knives. Does anyone have experience with the ESTA knives (I believe Grizzly Sells them) and how do they compare with the Tersa. I would consider getting a Byrd head; however, they are considerable more expensive then a ESTA upgrade and I will also have a planer with a Byrd head. Thanks

David Kumm
01-21-2012, 4:17 PM
Doug, me again. Esta are nice although the OWWM guys swear by the heavier straight knives. I use esta on my DJ 20 and they are fine. Crud can get in the slots so some care has to be taken. Depending on the jointer you want the ones that key on the jack screws and not on the cutterhead. Tersa are a step up and rival the byrd. Tersa guys prefer tersa, hobby guys prefer byrd as the changing is so seldom. It doesn't matter as much if the jointer is really good as a 5" diameter cutterhead, well balanced on big ABEC 7 bearings gives a pretty good cut and unless you need for the jointer to be the finished surface the face will be run through the planer. Tearout isn't as big an issue on those big jointers or planers as it is on the current offerings. Dave

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2012, 4:20 PM
I have a planer with Tersa's, and a Jointer with Esta knives. The machines are not comparable and the knives are not really either.

Tersa heads are different than a conventional head, although at a casual glance they do look similar. There is less knife protruding with the Tersa and almost no gullet, which is why they are so quiet. Knife changes could be done by a trained monkey.

Esta knives are actually the same thickness as the stock knives they replace once they are in their holder. They do absolutely nothing to change the character of the machine and how it works with a couple of exceptions.

One, the cobalt steel knife inserts are sharp, and last much longer than HSS Very good knives.

Two, changing knives after the initial setup, which is nothing that you don't have to do every time you sharpen standard knives, is a snap. The holder has a flat bottom that sets on the jack screws, and the double sided knives snap into the holder. Once adjusted to perfection, they will always be perfect. Shifting takes no less time, but that is not a big deal anyway. Not at all a bad setup. I have used them for about 15 years.

I also have a jointer with a Byrd head. I am not really a fan. I just don't care for the finish surface. I am looking for another jointer and it will have a Tersa head. If I couldn't have the Tersa and the choice was between Esta and Byrd that would be tough. When perfectly sharp the Esta knives do a better job, but for dirty stock the Byrd wins. But hey, I don't have to make that choice!:p

Larry

Steve Jenkins
01-22-2012, 10:36 AM
One note if it isn't clear. the ESTA can be used in a standard cutterhead but both the Byrd and Tersa requires a new cutterhead.