PDA

View Full Version : Turning Green Yew

Jerry Wright
01-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I have been gifted a few trunk sections of green yew (9" dia. x 16" long) by a neighbor who recently lost a tree. I have always studiously avoided yew because of its supposed toxic properties. Does anyone have any experience turning this stuff? Good/bad experiences? Precautions?

Roger Chandler
01-21-2012, 1:02 PM
I have never turned yew.......I see some forms posted here and other places as well............I also have heard that it is pretty toxic.............I would say anyone with respiratory issues might ought to avoid it............not sure about skin issues.

Curt Fuller
01-21-2012, 1:08 PM
Eugen Schlaak, who is a regular on WOW, does some incredible work with Yew. He's very knowledgeable on most any aspects of turning and is a guy that loves to help. Drop him an email. ESchlaak@thewows.com (http://www.thewows.com/isapi.dll?c=content&f=sendtomembers&siteid=G6kOAI&memberid=000050)

Jerry Wright
01-22-2012, 8:02 AM
Curt and Roger - thanks for the replies. I will follow-up on your cautions and referrals.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-22-2012, 9:35 AM
i did a search on "toxic wood" before I turned a goblet for my son-in-law... According to the American pages, and the Health and Safety pages form the U.K. there have been no in-depth studies on which woods are toxic for food use - because and food / drink is not going to be incontact with the wood long enough to absorb anything like a toxic level of poisons etc.

There was a mention that yew "is not toxic", only eating the berries is lethal. The wood is not going to kill you if you turn it, or use it (just think of all those medieval long bows...), although IMO if you are concerned over dust from wood, a good respirator would be an advantage.

Alec Moseley
01-22-2012, 6:40 PM
I have turned green yew and found it to be a pleasure to turn and beautiful when completed. I have not tried to eat or drink from it, though.

Jamie Donaldson
01-22-2012, 7:44 PM
Jerry, although I've not researched specific toxic woods, yew is a very large family including the cedars, and I'm not aware of any significant dangers other than the usual culprits, including dust. I have turned several varieties of yew including cedars, and yew is an outstanding turning material when it is sound.

Jerry Wright
01-22-2012, 8:58 PM
Jamie - thanks! I have turned cedar an have built a fair number of furniture projects with it. I have an allergic nose that loves birch, oak, poplar, maple and cherry, but doesn't like walnut, cedar, and mahogany. I'll just use the Trend Airshield and the DC on this!