PDA

View Full Version : How do I add doors to this cabinet?

dennis thompson
01-21-2012, 7:43 AM
We have this open cabinet in our hall. As you can see it's pretty messy. So what's the solution?
1-get the kids (& me) to be neat about all the stuff they throw in there
2-add cabinet doors
After trying for solution #1 for years we are ready to admit defeat & my wife wants to go to solution #2.
My questions are:
-what is the best way to add doors to this?
-since I'm not too sure of my door building ability, I'd like to explore purchasing them. Can anyone recommend a good supplier? The doors will be painted.
Thanks
Dennis

Carl Beckett
01-21-2012, 8:13 AM
If you want something really simple could hang a curtain....

Phil Thien
01-21-2012, 8:49 AM
Given the way they are trimmed, I'd suggest a rail at the top and a sliding barn door. Am I right in assuming you only want to conceal the two right-most compartments, and not the area for coats?I'm curious about what others will come up with.

Rich Engelhardt
01-21-2012, 9:18 AM
Tear out, remove far left divider and add bifold doors to match existing (appear to be 6 panel) doors.
Raised panel door on lower part of far right section. Glass panel display on upper section.

Option 2

Remove center divider on the right side & shelves. Add bifold doors to both sections.

Option 3
Remove shelf side of divide and install a pocket door.

Option 4
What's on the other side of that wall?
A hall closet may or may not be the best solution. It might be better to just frame it in, drywall it over and create something on the other side.

Paul Symchych
01-21-2012, 9:28 AM
the borgs have louvered doors that look like interior shutters. The wooden frames can be trimmed to fit your openings. then paint them to match.

david paul miller
01-21-2012, 9:31 AM
add floor (plywood) on top of base boards, toe kick on either side and 4-6 Inset doors, using European hinges.

david paul miller
01-21-2012, 9:35 AM
if you want to make the doors, shaker style with matching bead panels to match your wains coat are easy to do.

Justin Green
01-21-2012, 9:38 AM
Option 1 might be easier. You can get some canvas baskets/boxes to set on the shelves that will make it look more organized.

John A langley
01-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Dennis. If I'm seeing your picture right you have molded details on the sides of your face frames. The first thing I would do I'd divide each opening in half otherwise you would have pretty tall doors. Second, Blum makes a face frame hinge that the plate mounts on the face of the face frame rather than the edge. In Woodcraft, January 2012 catalog, page 129, part #02r80. You can have the doors made big enough to get away from that detail. There are several good door manufacturers in the Pennsylvania area that would be close to you. Keysone Products is the first one that comes to mind. You could probably make the doors out of MDF and applied molding. That might be the least expensive way to go. You can pm me if you would like to discuss this further. Good luck.

Charles Goodwin
01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
You have lots of choices. Let's go through some design questions first. On the left there is a space for clothing, but the picture doesn't show how wide it is. On the right are two columns of five cubby holes (10 total).

1. Do you want a door for the clothing space? Is that space the same width as the cubby holes? If larger, is the hall wide enough to permit a full-width door to open and close?

2. For the cubby holes, do you want individual doors for each one? A door for each column?

I'm going to assume that the clothing space is the same width as the cubby holes, so you have three matching columns. I like the idea of a five-door design, with one tall door on the left column and two doors for both the middle and right columns (with the top door covering two cubbies and the bottom covering three). Based solely on what's in the picture, I agree with the recommendation of Shaker style doors with a beadboard panel, to pick up the beadboard detail from your wainscoating. You could soften the look by adding an inset bead along the recess (sometimes called an Imperial style door). Trying to work with the existing cabinetry, I would simply build/buy overlay doors (instead of being inset the doors will sit on top of the frame) and use european style hinges that hide the hinge (e.g. the Blum 31329). You have an open frame at the floor, so will need to either close it in or add a false frame by attaching a dropper to the bottom doors for each of the three columns (leaving a 1/4 inch gap).

scott vroom
01-21-2012, 1:20 PM
+1 bi-fold doors