PDA

View Full Version : white oak finish

bill walton
03-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm building a bedroom set from QS white oak and really like the pale color and want to preserve this. It seems like most projects I see of this material have been darkened. I'm considering making the 4 posts and the top of the dresser from walnut. Fellow forum members, any comments on this combination. My visualization looks good but I'm seeking additional input before I start the walnut posts. Also any recommendations on the finish for the project. I'm thinking of clear satin lacquer but have no experience with it on the oak. Would this detract from the grain and flake of the oak? I'm always a bit insecureabout finishes.

Thanks in advance

Richard Ferment
03-16-2005, 12:40 PM
:) Hi Bill, I am by no means a expert on finishes, however I have made a few projects with QS White oak. Dineing Room Table with 4 chairs, Stand alone Book Case, Craftsman Style Futon Frame, and a few Blanket Chests.
I have always started with BLO followed by 2 coats of 2# cut Supper Blonde Shelac, top coat 3-4 coats varnish. This will darkin the oak a little. But the BLO realy brings the ray fleck out and the shelac adds depth and warms up the piece. The varnish top coat is for protection. Please ! try a piece of scrap first. This is just my way and what I like. You may have diferent tastes and of course your own style.
As for the Wallnut posts and top, that goes to what you like and your style. I think it would look great!
Hope this helps a little. I am sure you will get more posts, there are alot of members out there who are great finishers. :)

bill walton
03-16-2005, 12:54 PM
I've got plenty of scraps and I thought I'd try a number of the suggestions I receive. I appreciate your idea.

Alan Turner
03-16-2005, 2:11 PM
If you want to "freeze" the white color of the wood, and have it stay reallly light, then use BLO for the first coat, but to that add a bit of oil based white paint. It is the 50's look. I have used it, and it works, but after using it, it was not to my taste, so my step duaghter got a new chest of drawers. Oh well, she likes it.

Joseph N. Myers
03-16-2005, 7:01 PM
There are a lot of books and experts out there but I can share the way I finish my projects. I have found it easy, fast, moderately priced and pretty much goof proof.

Basically what I use is Watco stain, Briwax and sometimes, Watco Wipe-on Poly. For oak, I've used Watco Golden Oak but if you want to keep it light, I'd use Natural. For me, a couple of coats is more than enough. If I need a protective coating on it, I'll use Briwax Natural or Golden Oak. Again, a couple of coats is usually enough.

AS far as the walnut, Watco does a great job. It comes in Light, Medium and Dark. Briwax, if used, would be either Clear or Dark Brown Walnut.

When I need a harder coating, I use Watco Wipe-On Poly (over the stain), usually 3 coats. On the couple of projects I've used it on, its been very impressive.

A good sanding is real important. Because oak is so hard and you want the stain to soak in, I rarely sand past 150 (or a light 180). Walnut being softer, I will go to 180 (or light 220). I all cases, I apply with Steel Wool, #0000.

Oh, for wood filler, I use famowood. Comes in at least 10 flavors and stains ok.

Regards, Joe