PDA

View Full Version : Proper Care and Feeding of you Monster

Josh Bowman
01-20-2012, 8:32 PM
I've had Randy Privett's Monster rig for over a year. Right after I got it, hollowing was a dream. As months went on, it seemed to get harder to hollow! I tried different grinds, but the rig would catch and was just becoming real work to use. So I was talking to a friend of mine, when a light came on. Tonight I checked the play in the joints, sure enough there was some.....not much, but enough to cause an angle change of the bit, that would cause the thing to dig in. Using a 17mm wrench and my allen key from my SN2 chuck, I tightened it up. It now works like new again. I also used some super glue to hold the battery terminals on the opposite side of the switch. I found this seemed to be some of my laser problems. Hope some of this helps.

David E Keller
01-20-2012, 9:35 PM
Good point, Josh. I've had to snug up the joints on my articulating rig a time or two for the same reasons you mention. My laser broke, and I 'Southern engineered' a replacement that uses $2 laser points from eBay... I found it much cheaper than buying the replacement.

Harry Robinette
01-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Really good point, I just built mine so I guess I have a little time.

Allan Ferguson
01-21-2012, 1:26 PM
I got my late /Dec. Tightened the joint on the post. Lost laser light, problem was the light connection, push it together more and no problem since.

Jim Burr
01-21-2012, 1:44 PM
Woohoo!!! Thanks Josh for taking the time to both work that out and share it! I'm headed out to the shop as we speak!

James Combs
01-21-2012, 6:45 PM
I've had Randy Privett's Monster rig for over a year. Right after I got it, hollowing was a dream. As months went on, it seemed to get harder to hollow! I tried different grinds, but the rig would catch and was just becoming real work to use. So I was talking to a friend of mine, when a light came on. Tonight I checked the play in the joints, sure enough there was some.....not much, but enough to cause an angle change of the bit, that would cause the thing to dig in. Using a 17mm wrench and my allen key from my SN2 chuck, I tightened it up. It now works like new again. I also used some super glue to hold the battery terminals on the opposite side of the switch. I found this seemed to be some of my laser problems. Hope some of this helps.

I have had to do the same thing to my Mini Monster but one caution. I over tightened mine once to the point of it being too stiff and then backed it off but the damage was apparently already done. I had to replace the thrust bearings in each joint. Seems the over tightening(and it wasn't a whole lot either) imbedded the ball bearings into the race causing them to turn rough. I took it apart, couldn't really see any indentations but I would not work smooth again until I replaced the bearings. However, YMMV.