PDA

View Full Version : Humorous things that have happened while turning.............

Tom Winship
01-20-2012, 5:28 PM
Was turning and behind the face shield this morning and had a sneezing fit. Didn't get the shield up in time. Actually was dying laughing as I cleaned up the face shield.

What funny has happened to you?

Brian Kent
01-20-2012, 5:47 PM
I had just about saved up enough for my first lathe - a Delta 46-460 - when my daughter asked us to ship a care package to her in Egypt (coat, shoes, Peets coffee, Jelly Bellys). $265 to send it and another $160 to pick it up from the Post Office.

HaHa!

(sniff!):(

But really. She is worth that an infinite times over.

Brian Brown
01-20-2012, 5:48 PM
Well, I have always managed to get the face shield up before the sneeze, but the final outcome of this one looked like I didn't make it in time.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?107578-A-whole-new-type-of-pleasure&highlight=

I still laugh when I think about this story, but the wife thinks maybe it wasn't so funny.

Greg Just
01-20-2012, 5:59 PM
hasn't happened to be while turning, but once I driving to work in a new car and while drinking the morning coffee, sneezed and got coffee all over the inside of the windshield! What a mess!

Jeremy Leasure
01-20-2012, 6:04 PM
I once sharpened my bowl gouge 4 times in consternation before finally noticing the forward/reverse switch's position.

Bill Wyko
01-20-2012, 6:05 PM
I have a window across from my lathe w/o a screen. I had a piece come off the lathe and fly out the window, no rim. One second it was there, the next it was gone. Got a great laugh out of it.

Paul Williams
01-20-2012, 6:06 PM
I've done the forward reverse switch thing. It does make your gouge seem very dull.

Nate Davey
01-20-2012, 6:40 PM
Not sneezed in my face shield, but have tried to blow dust off a piece with the shield down. Didn't work too well

Scott Hackler
01-20-2012, 8:05 PM
I finish sand on the lathe with a 4" vac tube right up against the work. A year or more ago, I was finishing up a bell bottom for a Christmas ornament. I was piercing it while still on the lathe. I had the entire thing pierced and it was delicate X10. Thought it needed a quick sand to soften the outside of the bell and so with the vacuum on I pushed the lathe on button. AND.....witnessed the bell snap off the lathe......get sucked down the tube.....and got to listen to the sounds of it being ground up in the blades of the vacuum! All this happened in about 3 seconds and all I could do was chuckle and go in for the day.

Wally Dickerman
01-20-2012, 8:18 PM
Once, a long time ago, I had prepped a large heavy bowl blank and had mounted it on the outboard side of my lathe. Not remembering that the lathe was in reverse, I pushed the switch and in an instant the whole thing had unthreaded and went rolling out the open shop door. Fortunately, nobody was coming in. It took me quite a while to find it. It had rolled clear across the lot and across the street and into some grass. That reenforced my habit of standing out of the line of fire when I flip the switch on my lathe.

David E Keller
01-20-2012, 9:40 PM
I've got a bit of a smokeless tobacco habit, and I replaced the visor on my faceshield... Needless to say the new visor was so clear that I forgot it was there when I made a shot at the trashcan! A very clean visor can be dangerous for me, but fortunately they don't stay that way for long!

Tim McClelland
01-20-2012, 10:30 PM
I have more than once tried to take a sip of my coffee, forgetting that I had a face shield on.

Robert Newton
01-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Why is it every time I wear the faceshield I have to itch my nose?

Curt Fuller
01-20-2012, 10:48 PM
A few years ago I was turning an old piece of oak root that was full of voids. A bunch of hornets had gotten inside it and when I provided an opening for them to come out, at about 1000 rpms, some of them went down my shirt. They were long dead but I have a horrible phobia of bees, wasps, hornets, anything that looks like that. So by the time I figured out they were dead I was running around the back yard screaming like a little girl and had half my clothes off. My wife couldn't imagine what was going on. Luckily it was over before she could get the video camera.

Mark Hubl
01-20-2012, 10:57 PM
I am really liking this thread, several of these things have happened at my lathe. Oh the memories.

Rob Price
01-20-2012, 11:23 PM
This needs to be a sticky so we can add to it from time to time.

Reed Gray
01-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Have done the trying to cut while it is in reverse a number of times. Also, using the dust collector remote to try and turn on/off the radio.

robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2012, 11:35 PM
I have to admit I did the same thing as David K. did. I have a smokeless tobacco habit and had just bought my new face shield. Needless to say I took a shot at the trash can. I had to stop and clean the visor before I could carry on. I have also tried to blow the sanding dust off a piece with the Airstream on.

Hayes Rutherford
01-20-2012, 11:57 PM
I decided to re-use a handle that was on a 5/8 Sweazy gouge that came from the Russ Fairfield memorial tool sale. While re sizing it on the lathe for a smaller tool, I felt something other than wood coming off the re cut surface and could hear something hitting the wall. Russ had drilled the handle and filled it with lead shot and I had just let it out.

Jim Underwood
01-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Looking for a lathe tool I had just used for a full frustrating twenty minutes... and finally realizing I had it in my hand the whole time... :o

Brian Brown
01-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Jim Underwood...Stop impersonating me!!! *:D:D:D

Allan Ferguson
01-21-2012, 1:19 PM
Lots of good laughs. Lost my chuck wrench the other day, spent a great deal of time searching for it. Finally looked in the box where I keep shavings for fire starter. There it was hiding, scooped up in the shavings from the top of my lathe bench. I had looked in every nook and cranny of the shop for it. Wife also helped look. I had completely forgotten scooping up those shavings.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-21-2012, 6:39 PM
Blowing dust off the part is the only thing I can mention... with faceshield on, of course... D'oh!

James Combs
01-21-2012, 6:57 PM
Not sneezed in my face shield, but have tried to blow dust off a piece with the shield down. Didn't work too well

Ditto Nate, I do that more often then not.