PDA

View Full Version : Bowl edge burning

Eric Gourieux
01-20-2012, 4:30 PM
I have been wanting to burn the top edge of a form-like a NE form, and the recent post by Steve prompted this question: how is it done? Do you recommend finish sanding and then burning? I assume that sanding after burning would destroy the burned edge. If this is so, it seems that you would have a mess as you apply your final finish. Any suggestions/experiences?

Steve Vaughan
01-20-2012, 5:43 PM
never done that before, but I'd guess you'd want your final sanding done, then burn it, and if anything at that point, use #0000 steel wool to smooth the burned areas out. Sounds interesting.

Paul Williams
01-20-2012, 6:19 PM
I have done a lot of burning on decoy carvings. Allways sanded and then burnt. OK to hit with a brush, steel wool or fine grit paper after burning. I have only burnt on one bowl.

Dale Miner
01-20-2012, 8:23 PM
I've burnt the rim with two methods: Torch, and hot wire (electrically heated, pyro machine). Both methods have all bark removed before the burning.

With a torch; Cut the outside profile of the bowl except for the last pass. Remove the bark for at least the intended thickness of the bowl. Scorch the rim area with a torch. An adjustable flame torch is best with the flame kept only hot enough to get the level of burn desired. Direct the flame from the inside of the bowl over the rim, keeping the flame off the outside of the bowl. Cut the last pass on the outside of the bowl to remove any scorching that is on the outer wall of the bowl. Hollow the inside of the bowl. When the bowl is dry enough to sand, be carefull not to sand the rim (shoudn't sand the rim whether scorched or not). Apply the finish to the bowl.

With a hot wire; Completely turn and remove bark. When dry enough, sand the inside and outside of the bowl. Use the hot wire to scorch the rim with only enough heat to get the level of burn desired. Apply finish to the bowl.

I prefer the hot wire method.

steven carter
01-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Eric, on the bowl I posted earlier, I had finished sanding, and just used a regular propane torch, and tried to lightly burn by passing the flame quickly back and forth across the edge. I have another yellowwood that I just burned an edge on tonight. Because of the amount of movement with this wood, this bowl ended up very thin, so the burning of the edge had to be very fast. This is the first time I've burned an edge, so I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, just the way I did it. I look forward to more posts regarding this, to see other ways to do it.

Steve