PDA

View Full Version : Copper Leaf Form

Johnny Taylor
01-20-2012, 4:14 PM
This lidded form is made from Elm, it stands 6" tall without the final. The coloured area has been
airbrushed to give a 'mottled' appearance and the base and lid are covered in copper leaf which has been 'distressed'. The finial is Indian Rosewood. More info on this on my blog if anyone's interested (linked under homepage in my profile).

Comments and critiques welcomed.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/copperleaf007.jpg

Roger Chandler
01-20-2012, 5:22 PM
Very unique, Johnny..........love the deep blue color........copper is a nice contrast..........my tastes go more for the higher gloss items, but this is likely the look you were going for.........the metallic look of the blue would look great under a high gloss clear coat, and it would set off the copper accents well also, I think..........

Very creative!

Alan Trout
01-20-2012, 5:23 PM
Johnny that is a really cool piece. I have done a bit of gold leafing but the downside is the cost of 23K leaf. I might have to give copper a go at some time. Overall I like the piece just not sure about the transition to the finial.

Well Done

Alan

Dan Hintz
01-20-2012, 8:18 PM
Love the gold leaf, the finial, and the choice of colors. But... I feel the main portion is lacking in some form of decoration that matches the glitziness of the rest of the vessel. I cannot say what that missing element is, maybe piercing, maybe decoration, don't know, but it feels a bit bare.

Eric Holmquist
01-20-2012, 8:38 PM
Very nice design, the leaf adds a lot. I've done one gilded piece and this makes me want to try more

David E Keller
01-20-2012, 9:32 PM
Neat stuff, Johnny! The distressed copper seems a bit out of place with the very clean, modern lines of the form and finial, but that may not be the case when the piece is viewed in person. I love your experimentation with form, color, and materials... Thanks for sharing!

Harry Robinette
01-20-2012, 9:46 PM
Really nice piece love the form, the finial and the copper but I'm with Roger C on this one myself I think high gloss would set it off. By the way I usually like oil finish.

Johnny Taylor
01-21-2012, 4:22 AM
Thanks for the comments and thoughts on this piece:) I did forget to say in the description that the true colour of the piece is greener than it looks in the pic, digital cameras(mine anyway) do seem to struggle with blues and greens and especially bluey-greens!