PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 6" jointer question

Luke Townsley
01-20-2012, 3:31 PM
I have a really old PM 6" jointer I bought at an auction a few months ago.

The motor is giving me trouble, refusing to start, and also has a noisy bearing.

My question is more about the pulley on the motor. Can someone tell me what diameter pulley should be mounted on the motor? I'm thinking the motor and pulley on it is not original. It has a 3/4" shaft with an 8" pulley.

If my guess is right and a 7" pulley is a better fit, can someone give me an idea where to look for one?

The thing is, if I change the motor, I will have a hard time finding one with a 3/4 inch shaft.

Thanks,
Luke

Kevin Presutti
01-20-2012, 5:38 PM
Get the serial number off the machine and go to OWWM and look up the owners manual for a machine that is relevent to your machine. There are many manuals online on that website and for sure you should find one for your PM50.

Luke Townsley
01-25-2012, 3:09 PM
Kevin, I didn't recall any information of that type, but I looked again and came across the following statements in a old manual.
The motor base is drilled for either 3/4 or 1 Horsepower standard frame motor."
"The recommended speed for the cutterhead is 5,000 RPM. Cutterhead drive motor should be either 1800 RPM with 7" pulley or 3600 RPM with 3 1/2" pulley."
Granted, that manual may have been a bit different than my model, but it seems close enough.