PDA

View Full Version : Mini-pots, and an incense holder.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-20-2012, 3:08 PM
Hi folks, in one of my last threads, I posted about how the wife pinches all my stuff, and it hasn;t changed yet (although I have given her first choice on some stuff, I'm still trying to sell it!). So, the story goes:- we had a sofa replaced a couple of years ago, and having tried to reclaim any proper wood and materials from it were left with the four feet - solid Beech (so they said), I hadn't got a lathe, wasn't happy using it for small stuff, and left it to one side "just in case"... I got the lathe in July, and thought, "I'll leave that till I'm better at it" and finally got round to making 3 like this:-
with a little variation in height / curve - this is number one, and the one the wife pinched!

This is the last one, where I wanted a returned flange on the top, but broke it when trying to hollow the body. Bits of the flange measured 1mm thick...
When I took them to work, a mate said "I'll have them", even before I'd finished getting them out of my pockets...! EEEK!
I discussed my idea of having a lid on this one, and he said yes, so I brought it back - he gave the #2 & #3 to his wife that night - hence no pics.

One of the women at work said she wanted an incense stick holder, to sit by her burner, and I told her I'd just the thing - the coring from a large goblet. So I smoothed it off a bit, sanded and Carnauba wax coated it, the put the holes in. You cans see the original faceplate holes showing a slight stain in the wood. This is also Beech, but from the "green" wood tree I got a few weeks back.

Just thought I'd share, and let you know I managed to get a Cherry branch off a bosses tree, before it became firewood... Going out now to make him / his mrs a similar pot!

Allan Ferguson
01-20-2012, 5:10 PM
It looks like you are off to a good start and it can only get better as you work. Nice to have someone other that the wife grab up your work.

Nate Davey
01-20-2012, 5:17 PM
Nice Primvs, you're showing some great improvement. Those boxes are nice.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-20-2012, 6:14 PM
Thankyou both, gentlemen! It's good to hear positive comments, and I thank you for them. I know there are tool marks and the polish isn't as good as it can be, but the people who are buying them know that I'm still learning, I'm not a professional, and that these really are made for fun. My wife, of course, is biased! I shall continue to improve my tool grinding and work approach methods, so fingers crossed there will be more improvement over the next few items!

David E Keller
01-20-2012, 9:48 PM
You're gaining on this turning thing, Primvs! You fessed up to the tool marks before I spotted them, but I can see definite progress! Congrats on the cherry, too... Lovely stuff!