PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Cladrastis kentukea (Yellowwood)

steven carter
01-20-2012, 3:02 PM
This is an American Yellowwood bowl. Thanks to Jamie Donaldson for his comments on an earlier post about the characteristics of this wood. He stated that the wood was very prone to cracking and he was right about that, although I think I would say that this wood doesn't crack as much as it ruptures and tears itself apart. I could have sworn I saw Sigorney Weaver manking another alien movie as this wood split. I was able to get a couple bowls roughed out, but it wasn't easy. Thanks to Jamie, I left way more thickness than I normally would. This one ended up 7" wide by 5.5 tall. Roughed out and DNA soak. It does finish nicely, reminds me somewhat of OO, the way it takes a shine. It will be interesting to see how long they stay yellow, as Jamie also says the yellow will fade, and I've learned to listen to what this expert has to say! Bark would not stay on so I burned the NE with a torch. Buffed with Ren wax.

Thanks for looking C&C welcome.

charlie knighton
01-20-2012, 3:17 PM
very nice, Steven, pretty wood

Michelle Rich
01-20-2012, 3:51 PM
love the color..nice balance on the rim

Allan Ferguson
01-20-2012, 4:47 PM
Striking wood and a nice pleasing form. You did well. Just love the colors and grain pattern.

Baxter Smith
01-20-2012, 5:01 PM
Very pretty color for now at least. You did a nice job on the rim.

Ted Calver
01-20-2012, 8:47 PM
I like Cladrastis lutea better. It sounds prettier...to match this lovely bowl. Nice work.

Jamie Donaldson
01-20-2012, 9:19 PM
A very nicely made bowl, and that yellowwood has more color than I've ever seen in the wood before. I'm familiar with it because around here it's known as Kentucky Yellowwood, and doesn't often grow to very large size, over 10" in diameter. A friend/arborist once cut a yellowwood much larger than usual, and almost every piece I made thicker than about 3/16" cracked big time, and the yellow faded rather quickly in the sun on the firewood pile.

David E Keller
01-20-2012, 9:22 PM
Great job! I prefer a narrower bottom on these tall NE forms, but that's just my personal taste. The torched edge really works for me... In fact, I think I like it better than most of the bark edged pieces that I've turned. Great color and finish! Keep us posted on the color if you would.

steven carter
01-20-2012, 9:50 PM
Great job! I prefer a narrower bottom on these tall NE forms, but that's just my personal taste. The torched edge really works for me... In fact, I think I like it better than most of the bark edged pieces that I've turned. Great color and finish! Keep us posted on the color if you would.

I have this one an another nearly finished. My son is an agronomist at Miami University, and he found this wood with the help of an arborist there. One will go to the arborist, and the other to my son, so I will be able to keep up the with color of the one given to my son. My wife wants one also, so I have a bit of pressure to get at least one more out of the wood I have. With the way it cracks and moves I may need some luck. I did cut some up for finial blanks, and although they are moving a lot, the 1.5" square blanks have not yet cracked nearly as much as the bowl blanks. I will post later after exposure to UV for a while.