PDA

View Full Version : off center turning

Edward Orecchio
01-20-2012, 10:26 AM
A question for you off center turners-I'm trying to turn on parallel and skew axis. It seems hard to get a smooth finish on the turnings,any tips? And I'd like to turn a goblet on parallel axis creating arcs in the stem. Do I turn the goblet seperately and glue it to the stem or can I turn together? Thanks:confused:

Scott Hackler
01-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Edward,

You could turn the cup portion separately (probably the easiest way for an off axis goblet) but you can also turn it as a whole. The whole method would be more tedious, but would "wow" the crowd a lot more.

Here is how I would "think" the "whole" process could be achieved. First round the stock and turn the cup and hollow it, leaving extra height at the rim. Next remove it from the lathe and turn a piece that would fit tightly, in the open mouth. I would say 1/4" disc and while on center axis draw in a pencil line 1/4" down from the rim. glue that into place and then you can move the centers around to what ever position you need (on both ends) for the off axis turning. When satisfied with the results, I would remove the top 1/4" of the cup, following the pencil line, sand and finish.

My experience in off axis always required quite a bit of sanding afterwards. It's pretty difficult in getting a "smooth" finish on a piece that isn't in contact with the tool during the full revolution.

Robert Henrickson
01-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Go to Barbara Dill's website, and look at the articles, and the pieces she has turned.

http://barbaradill.com/

And her article in the last issue of American Woodturner, where she got the cover.

Edward Orecchio
01-20-2012, 1:45 PM
Thanks,I'll try that. EJO

Edward Orecchio
01-20-2012, 1:49 PM
Yes I collected her articles-good ones but she doesnt help much on the nuts and bolts of the turning process-practice alot I guess. I did see one web site that said discs are good transition forms when axis is changed. Thanks EJO

Robert Henrickson
01-20-2012, 6:34 PM
Yes I collected her articles-good ones but she doesnt help much on the nuts and bolts of the turning process-practice alot I guess. I did see one web site that said discs are good transition forms when axis is changed. Thanks EJO

Practice, practice, practice. Dill has presented the concepts and principles in very clear fashion, but there is no substitute for actually doing. I've done a fair bit of split turning, and still get surprised by what happens. Dill does also sell a DVD -- discusses the concepts and does a bit of turning to demo the basics.