PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the replies ?

Harry Robinette
01-19-2012, 10:30 PM
I have been watching the post and was wondering why there are so many views and no replies. I know this was brought up before but now we're
getting 3,4,5 HUNDRED views and 10 or 12 replies. Is it just that all these viewers are just taking all the information we put on the forum and won't
give any info back. I was wondering if theres a way to stop these people from reading the forum after say 30 days of viewing with out any replies.
I know there is probable nothing that can be done but it really bothers me, it just doesn't seam right.
Well I guess I'm just venting so I'll stop now.

Fred Belknap
01-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Harry I think that is a good thing in a way. After so much is said on a thread there isn't much to add sometime. I'm guilty of reading quite a few posts and not posting anything, but it isn't because I don't appreciate those that have something worth while to say. Just think if everyone replied to all the threads, don't even want to think about it. If I have anything to say I say it otherwise I just sit back and enjoy.:)

Ed Morgano
01-19-2012, 11:02 PM
I agree with Fred. A lot of times, I read the threads and don't have anything new to say. A question has been asked and several have answered it far better than I could. I just don't have anything to add. Hope that's ok.

Jeremy Leasure
01-19-2012, 11:06 PM
I've noticed this before. It's kind of neat, actually. I've averaged a few threads on various forums and it's usually a 25 to 1 reply/view ratio. Of course there are outliers. Views always outnumber replies, without exception. It's the same way across all forums, blogs, video sites etc on the internet. There are always more people needing to learn than there are people with information to impart. Human condition. If you block people from a forum unless they make a minimum amount of replies you'll end up with A) An empty forum or B) A very spammy forum.

Think about it this way: Would you rather have 10 or 12 replies with useful information and a few lighthearted jokes or have to wade through 400-500 posts that say "Yep, read this" to find those 10 or 12 useful or entertaining replies? I read all kinds of things just out of idle curiosity. If I have something I think will be helpful I'll chime in. If not, I usually don't.

Mike Cruz
01-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Harry, the views are merely a count of how many times the thread has been opened. If for example, like in this thread, I respond to the thread. I make my point. Then I hit send. Since I subscribe to the thread, I'll get a notification each time somone replies to the thread. So does each other person that responded to the thread. When we get our notification, we will or may open the link, and view the thread to see what has been written. Each time someone posts, assume that each person that posted returned to the thread. With each post, the number of views is exponential.

That aside, I've been searching the Creek for the past hour or so (waiting for the fire to get good and hot so I can hit the sac). In that hour, I've looked at a BUNCH of threads, but have replied to maybe only 5-10. So, it isn't necessarily "outsiders" that are viewing Creek threads, it is members, too that look and don't reply. Personally, sometimes I don't reply because I don't know what to say. Sometimes it's because what I have to say has already been said. Sometimes it is my choice to stay out of it. Sometimes it is because I hear a little voice saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". And sometimes, I just don't have the energy, time, or focus to compilate an organized thought. Like I just did right there... :p

Anyway, the bottom line is, chill. People will reply if they want to. I've posted threads that I thought would generate 5 responses with concise answers that ended up monsters with lives of their own. Other times, I think I have a question that will live forever...and squat. We don't all think alike. We don't all respond alike. You "assume" that people are reading the posts, taking info, and milking the Creek. Maybe those people open our threads, read our gibberish, think we're morons, and laugh for hours at our expense...:rolleyes:

Jeff Nicol
01-19-2012, 11:36 PM
I will reply right now........What am I replying too? I do the same thing, lately I have been falling asleep in my lazy boy with an ice pack on my back and heat pad on my shoulders and only check a few things before I go to bed. Like Mike says and the others if there is nothing new to add or one might be thinking about it or to shy to ever post anything, you never know what you will get.

Jeff

Scott Hackler
01-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Harry, I kinda understand what your seeing. I don't give the ratio of viewed to responded much thought, though. For myself, I don't respond to a thread IF plenty of people have already answered the question, posted a critique that is exactly what I would say or I might just not have anything to say (either positive or negative). It's nothing personal and at least here, I don't and wouldn't read anything into that. On WoW, however, little to no response to one of my post (pictures) tells me that what ever I made...wasn't all that popular to the masses. Here, the crowd is way more social and active and we tend to respond a lot more to everyone's posts.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-20-2012, 12:01 AM
OK I'll reply!

Usually, there are more experienced guys, that reply with much more valuable information than I can give. So no sense in repeating. That's already been said. I usually reply when I do have something different to say. MOST times that is not the case though, since there are way way good turners here. Add I am not one of them.

Many times I read a post because I have the same question. Naturally, I won't have an answer for that.

Ron Bontz
01-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Speaking for myself. I often do not reply to post in the various forums simply because my work is no where near the caliber of many. If some thing does not appeal to me, I do not reply. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Otherwise if there are a large amount of replies I do not reply as well.

Thomas Hotchkin
01-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Hello Harry
What everyone else said, already. Tom

Ryan Mooney
01-20-2012, 12:40 AM
A lot of times by the time I see a thread that I could add something to others have already said everything useful there is to say. Piling on like I'm doing now is just noise :p I actually think it says a lot about both the generous nature and excellent responses generally seen here.

Dwight McNutt
01-20-2012, 1:03 AM
Harry, your right!!! I am a member here and I read almost every post, but I choose not to reply. I don't have the knowledge to join in any conversations, one day when I do I will give my oponion. I am here to get information and learn because I know nothing about turning, except i'm pretty sure i'm going to enjoy it. I hope everyone here knows how much the information is appreciated and continue to give it freely.

Dwight

Paul Gallian
01-20-2012, 1:25 AM
I am replying -- not much on my dead brain,, rather just read what you are posting.... not much help - just an old person hanging on.

Rick Markham
01-20-2012, 2:04 AM
It used to make me wonder a bit too in the beginning. In the last year I have seen some pretty impressive works come completely "out of the blue" from members who had lurked for a year or more before posting. So it should be somewhat comforting instead of worry some, it means the people who read our threads are "getting it" :) That's kinda cool in my book

Joe Watson
01-20-2012, 2:04 AM
The view count is not just people, its also 'bots', 'web crawlers', etc. - search engine tools/programs.

Michelle Rich
01-20-2012, 3:49 AM
I do reply A Lot!! I do it because I know how much work it is to turn. i know folks put up their turnings because they want a response. This is a more social site & I think patting each other on the back is not a bad thing. If you like what someone struggled to make & post..give back & give them 10 secs of your time & say so.!! IMHO

Dan Forman
01-20-2012, 3:49 AM
I kind of wondered why my recent high speed sanding thread only had three responses the first day out of 275 views - all three were positive, from folks who have used the method, and two were by the same person! I had expected at least a few nay sayers, since the conventional wisdom is slower is better. I guess most Creekers are too nice to just come out and say "I think that's a bunch of crap!" :D It did make me wonder thought, if anyone actually read the article linked to in order to see what I was all excited about.

As far as my own answering, I sometimes respond to many threads, other times not so much. Sometimes it's just a matter of not having time or energy, others not feeling I have anything new to say, I occasionally lose touch for months at a time if I am pursuing one of my other hobbies.

Dan

Bob Haverstock
01-20-2012, 7:07 AM
Hi Harry,

Most of the time I'm amazed at the quality of the work posted. Amateurs do the best work and also the poorest work, ths is true in most crafts. While I have a lathe and a computer, I'm not an expert with either. I don't know much Art, didn't he work on the far end? I'm opinionated and have an opinion on almost everything, I would do well to keep my opinions to myself. I'm a little exposed out here, I crawling back under my rock.

Bob Haverstock

Cory Norgart
01-20-2012, 7:12 AM
I have been watching the post and was wondering why there are so many views and no replies. I know this was brought up before but now we're
getting 3,4,5 HUNDRED views and 10 or 12 replies. Is it just that all these viewers are just taking all the information we put on the forum and won't
give any info back. I was wondering if theres a way to stop these people from reading the forum after say 30 days of viewing with out any replies.
I know there is probable nothing that can be done but it really bothers me, it just doesn't seam right.
Well ,,Im just a member,, but heres my view anyways. I think alot of people come on here to view everyones beautiful work. No, I dont post on everyhting I see or read, but if it catches my eye or my attention, yes ,, I leave a reply. So,, I really dont think anyone is here to steel yours, or anyone elses super knowledge. But,,, one thing I have noticed is that certain people only reply to other certain peoples posts, and some people reply to everyones post no matter what it is. I have left many posts with alot of views and minimal replies, it doesnt bother me a bit. So,,, my final, I dont thinks its a big deal. Also, I think if you wait 30 days and then dont allow anyone to read it, wouldnt really matter anyways because the post is so far down the line by than, that nobody will see it anyways unless they are searching for it. Kudos anyways, you got alot of replies on this one:)

John Keeton
01-20-2012, 7:18 AM
One must consider that in a typical month, there are upward of 50 MILLION views on SMC - sometimes much more!!! That includes folks from all over the world, and includes both members, contributors, and simply visitors - in addition to the webcrawlers, spiders, etc. At any given point, just take a look at the bottom of the Turners Forum page and you will see a list of the members online (including contributors), but also a notation of the number of visitors - nearly always double the members viewing. Those visitors cannot post.

So, factor out the visitors, factor out the members that have a casual interest in the matter posted (look, like, do not get excited - may not even turn), and factor out the folks like those that have posted here that feel they cannot contribute beyond what has been stated, and you end up with a group of participants that numbers less than 100. Just give some thought to those names we all know that post frequently - pretty small number actually, especially considering the millions of views of the entire SMC forum.

Harry, I actually like to see the number of views of something I post more so than the number of comments. IMO it indicates that folks at least want to look. Whether they like what they see or not, at least they are interested.

Don't read too much into the number of replies.

Dan Hintz
01-20-2012, 7:26 AM
I spent a LOT of time looking before I started posting, and even then it was a small comment here and there, maybe adding something of a technical nature when I had an answer. It's the nature of the beast. I see a lot of great works here, but about the only thing I could add to the majority of them is "Looks great!", so I try to limit my use of such comments to the works that speak to me personally.

I likely post more in the Engraver's forum than the wood forums, but that's because I have more useful advice to give there. I may have a lot of pricey wood toys, but it doesn't mean I'm proficient enough at using them to tell others what they're doing right/wrong ;)

Robert McGowen
01-20-2012, 9:02 AM
"Nothing to add...... replied anyway...... you have now wasted 12 seconds of your life reading this..... sorry about that..... :o"

That is how I interpret a lot of the posts I read. When someone posts something that is not (how should I say this?) pleasant to look at, and the person asks for constructive criticism, a majority of the comments are still about how nice it is, great form, etc., etc. I don't think that you are doing anyone any favors doing this. The answer: don't post or risk looking like a know-it-all when you are the only honest comment behind 10 fluff replies. I really don't see a problem with fewer replies. YMMV

Doug Herzberg
01-20-2012, 9:25 AM
Harry, I read a lot of posts, including all of yours. Your Trend AS Pro thread motivated me to research, shop for and buy my own. That thread is long buried, but thanks anyway, you may have extended my life, or at least made the rest of it more pleasant. I reply only if I think I have something of value to say. Sometimes after posting, I realize I didn't.

Dan, I read your high speed sanding post and the linked article. I've experimented with a random orbit sander on platters still on the lathe, and will now try a grinder. I learned from your post, but didn't have anything to say that would further the discussion.

As for the "look at what I did" posts, I look and learn, and enjoy, but I'm so new I don't think my opinion is really what the original poster is after. I could say "Wow, I really like that" and occasionally do, but what would it add? If I don't like it, but can't add any constructive advice, what would be the point?

For me, the questions posted by new turners and the advice they receive are some of the most valuable. I could post that I've been having trouble with that, too, and maybe I should.

Prashun Patel
01-20-2012, 9:44 AM
Threads here are typically one of two types: those looking for answers to a question, and those posting completed projects.

For the question threads, it's usually 'better' if people don't repost the same answer - or get off on a tangent. (A lot of times I'll type a response and then think 'this offers no new info' to the OP, and I'll delete. I should probably do more of this...)

But for the completed works threads (and there are a lot in the turner's forum) I agree wholeheartedly with you. I think the new and intermediate turners would benefit from both encouragement on jobs well done and more so from constructive criticisms for improvement.

On forums (and there are plenty of them) where comments can be degrading and flaming, I think restraint is a better prescription. But SMC is (the Finishers' forum notwithstanding ;)) a generous and nurturing place, so criticisms (for me) are welcome.

John W Dixon
01-20-2012, 10:12 AM
I personally don't reply to a ton of threads for the same reason as many others, don't feel like I have the experience or knowledge to add much. I sure appreciate the knowledge of others though. I sure would rather see 10 -20 well crafted and honest replies than 100 or more replies with little or no value.

I have been on some forums where people tend to be (pardon the phrase) post wh*res where they post just to get there counts up which they believe somehow makes them seem more important. I like the fact that most of the folks on here with high post counts have the skills and pictures of their work to back up the comments they are leaving.

Jim Underwood
01-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm gonna say I'm just lazy these days, and jus' look at da purty pitchers...:D

In many cases, I only reply if I have a point of view or information that hasn't been expressed already. If I see someone has already posted what I'd say, I'm not nearly as apt to post.

Montgomery Scott
01-20-2012, 10:30 AM
You spelled "seem" incorrectly. HTH

Steve Schlumpf
01-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Harry - I've been here for a while and one thing that comes into play that hasn't been mentioned is that is does make a difference as to the actual day of the week and time that something is posted. If you want a lot of comments on something you turned... then your best bet is to post it on a Friday evening or Saturday morning because that is when most folks are done with work for the week and come online to check out what is new. You often get good responses on holidays as well. Course, if you really don't want any replies until later... just post it on Monday morning.

Jim Underwood
01-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Oooohhhh... Strategy. I like it.

Dale Winburn
01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Back in December I posted a question:
Wood ID Help Please (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?178047-Wood-ID-Help-Please&highlight=)Within 2 minutes I had a reply identifying the wood, the post has only the one reply and 147 views, no need for more replies.

Richard Golde
01-20-2012, 11:39 AM
I am a novice at best and enjoy reading the threads without replying because it is a great source of information for me. I have learned so much about hollow forms, finishes, design and form, etc. Thank you guys and gals. There may be two levels of viewers here, the skilled and the learners. The learners will some day be the posters so fear not all will even out. Oh look Im now a poster. That was fast. Some day I might even have some thing worth while to post.

Richard

Jim Underwood
01-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Richard... Even newbies have something worthwhile to post. I've been turning since 2004, and consider myself an intermediate turner. I'll probably never "arrive" as an expert turner, and I'm learning all the time. Just yesterday someone posted their bad experience with hollowing tools and I learned several basic things from the responses. If he hadn't posted, I wouldn't have have learned those things..

Even if you're new to turning you can still post questions and experiences that are worthwhile.

Bill Wyko
01-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Since I read most of the replies I might as well reply myself. I say turn something absolutely absurd so you just shock everyone into replying. I did notice the other day the member count vs the guest count and the guests are a huge number. I think they should at least bring a bottle of wine.:D

Scott Flamm
01-20-2012, 11:48 AM
I am new to woodworking. I have about a year under my belt and frankly not much expierence yet. So I joined sawmill creek to learn from all of the wonderfull people who post on this forum. Being able to absorb the knowledge of so many peolple with different levels of experience has been great. If I have a question I will search through previous posts looking for the answer. There have only been a few times up to this point where I couldn't find an existing thread that dealt with my question. In those cases I have started a new thread. It has allowed me to learn about the craft, and more than that expand my horizons and see what is possible. Over the course of the last year I have looked at hundreds of threads if not over a thousand. I check the creek daily and look through the new posts. I look at threads from all parts of the site, including this forum (turning) even though I do not have a lathe and may not for several years (hopefully that will be remedied). For all this looking and learning I think I have posted less than 30 times. It's not that I don't want to help or offer my opinion, but that I often don't have the knowlegde to impart (when I do if it has not already been said then I will add my 2 cents). Over time this will change and hopefully I will be able to offer more advise/help/recomendations as good as I have recieved. I'm only 30 so hopefully I'll have a long time to both gain and impart knowledege. I don't think that my experience is unique, it is just the nature of how many progress while learning something new.

Wally Dickerman
01-20-2012, 12:16 PM
One must consider that in a typical month, there are upward of 50 MILLION views on SMC - sometimes much more!!! That includes folks from all over the world, and includes both members, contributors, and simply visitors - in addition to the webcrawlers, spiders, etc. At any given point, just take a look at the bottom of the Turners Forum page and you will see a list of the members online (including contributors), but also a notation of the number of visitors - nearly always double the members viewing. Those visitors cannot post.

So, factor out the visitors, factor out the members that have a casual interest in the matter posted (look, like, do not get excited - may not even turn), and factor out the folks like those that have posted here that feel they cannot contribute beyond what has been stated, and you end up with a group of participants that numbers less than 100. Just give some thought to those names we all know that post frequently - pretty small number actually, especially considering the millions of views of the entire SMC forum.

Harry, I actually like to see the number of views of something I post more so than the number of comments. IMO it indicates that folks at least want to look. Whether they like what they see or not, at least they are interested.

Don't read too much into the number of replies.

50 million hits per month? I don't doubt what you say John but that's hard to get a grip on. I do like the math you've put out here though. Explains a lot.

I'm not keen on seeing nothing but a bunch of attaboy replies but I'll admit that I do like to receive them. I sometimes hesitate to be the only negative in a bunch of attaboys. Having taught a lot of woodturning over a period of years I've had a lot of experience with critiques. Always contructive critiques of course. That's what a teacher does. The folks posting here aren't my students though, so I feel that sometimes my comments aren't always appreciated. I've been flamed more than once because someone's ego was bruised.

If a question is asked and I feel that I can give a helpful answer, I will reply, often with a lengthy answer. I do get discouraged when I see answers from well meaning people who really don't know what they're talking about and sometimes give poor advice. If I'm not sure about the subject I stay out of it and try to learn from those who do know.

If I click on a post and see a bunch of replies and my reply would be essentially the same, I usually don't give an answer. Perhaps I should.

Bill Bukovec
01-20-2012, 12:24 PM
My wife is on a quilting board and some of the replies are utterly useless.

For example, a poster will ask, does anyone have a presser foot for a Binford 2000 sewing machine?

Many of the replies are , "I don't".

Thanksfully, that doesn't happen here.

Bill Wyko
01-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Wally, to be an extraordinary wood worker we must be able to take some punches with grace. I think it's important that those of that do post our work understand, when someone comments in a way that's not flattering, it is still constructive. That's what will separate the men from the boys. To receive a comment from someone with your skill level should be taken as good advice and appreciated. In my audio business I've seen so many installers that felt they didn't need any body's advice. Almost all of them are mediocre at best. Constructive criticism can advance the knowledge of those who choose to listen to it. All in all we are the teachers of the internet world of woodworking. If used correctly, there is a PHD in woodworking to be learned here.

Mike Cruz
01-20-2012, 12:40 PM
So, Harry, how do you feel about 36 replies to 686 views on this thread? Of course, if you don't reply to my question, I will have to assume you read it and didn't have anything to say...which will beg the question...Why didn't you reply? ;)

Kurt Strandberg
01-20-2012, 12:51 PM
I have been watching the post and was wondering why there are so many views and no replies.

now I am curious, what is the post?

Tim Leiter
01-20-2012, 5:24 PM
When I read a post and have something to add, I post my response. When I don't have anything to add, I don't post. I am sure this is what occurs with most people. I really don't understand the OP and his post. Does he need more gratification and is not getting it? I just don't know why someone points out what many people have said is not a problem and to suggest someone get kicked out of a forum for not posting, in my opinion, is ludicrous. Just my humble opinion of course, but I did post. (Am I ok for another month?) lol

Bill White
01-20-2012, 5:51 PM
I only reply if I have a positive/instructive responsive contribution. Lighten up a bit about the limiting issue. Dang!!!! Oh, learn how to spell! There! How's that for a response?
Now I feel better, and will go back to cleaning up the shop ( it is Friday ya know ).
Bill

Harry Robinette
01-20-2012, 6:50 PM
Thanks to all who replied and sorry for starting this. I was making an observation about something that should have stayed in my head longer before I posted it. My whole thing was I didn't stop to think before I said anything.The numbers just seamed way out of wack to me, but I didn't take all the facts into consideration.
This was a post that I do fell was just one of those mistakes we sometime make and wish we had thought more before saying anything.Sorry if I caused any problem for anyone.I think I'll stop now my brain is starting to quit again.

Tim McClelland
01-20-2012, 6:59 PM
I don't know what to say, but I figured I'd better reply something so I don't get cut off at the end of the month. I do enjoy reading the posts, being mostly inexperienced I love the learning that comes from them and just admiring the fine work being done - it let's me dream on and on and keeps me going back to the lathe knowing that the meager turnings I do now may someday be more like those that I see here.

Montgomery Scott
01-20-2012, 7:53 PM
...which will beg the question...Why didn't you reply? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

Begging the question (or petitio principii, "assuming the initial point") is a type of logical fallacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy) in which the proposition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition) to be proven is assumed implicitly or explicitly in the premise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premise).

Mark Hubl
01-20-2012, 10:06 PM
I have replied! But really, the internet is all about openness and freedom. Not about censorship, segregation or country club cliques. (understand the censorship for civilities sake) I think the math of views has been covered, the redundant nature of replies and the overall value that those trying to learn find here. I would hate to start locking the doors to the likes of Malcolm, or Kieth or .... just cause they have not typed something in a while. Hopefully Harry's anger has waned after all these responses. Now back to wood turning.

Mike Cruz
01-20-2012, 10:23 PM
I'll just assume that people using that phrase is a pet peeve of yours, not that didn't get what I meant. Or is a pet peeve a logical fallacy, too? Irregardless, I could care less... ;)

alex carey
01-20-2012, 11:24 PM
i used to be a very regular commenter but no longer have the time. If someone asks me a question ill certainly respond to it. I still view the forum several times a week to see what projects everyone are up to. It'll be a shame if I am no longer able to look at what people create.

Dan Hintz
01-21-2012, 9:01 AM
Irregardless, I could care less... ;)
Touche' ;)

Peter Lamb
01-21-2012, 10:07 AM
This one requires a response! As has been already said many times by the time I get to the thread what I would have said has already been said.
I seldom respond but I read almost all of the threads twice a day. SMC is a sensitve woodturning resource.
Thanks for being

Kevin Lucas
01-21-2012, 2:10 PM
I admit that the forum here is my addiction. Between the turning and neanderthal it is like going to school. I never really raised my hand there either ) When I do see something that really knocks my socks off, gets me curious how did they do that or I think I can add a little then I post. For form and color criticism I am too new a turner to really tell but learn from others comments on the subject for sure. Food for thought as they say and making me think of wood in new ways.

Peter Blair
01-21-2012, 7:19 PM
I've been sitting in the weeds, watchin' the responses to this Thread. I do participate in a few Threads but only when I have something that I think worth while saying. I usually log in and read posts 2 or three times a day so I add to the visitors several times a day. My problem is, many to the posts relate to 'taste' as far as I am concerned and I hesitate to comment based on MY taste, even my wife says it's all in my mouth, as in 'I don't have any'. I do like to see what people are doing and get most of my ideas from the posts and really appreciate what everyone is doing even if I don't 'like' all the pieces. I turn lots of bowls and am trying to find new things to try that make my turning even more fun!
Thanks to all that post!

Montgomery Scott
01-21-2012, 7:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

Ignorance is Strength

Dan Hintz
01-21-2012, 9:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

Ignorance is Strength
I believe he was being sarcastical in his facetiousality...

Mike Cruz
01-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Uh, yeah...English 101...irregardless ain't a word. And the statement that many use, "I could care less." when they mean that they don't care is really stating the opposite. If you say you could care less, that means that you possess some modicum of caring. The correct statement would be, "I couldn't care less." meaning that you care so little, there is no room for any more apathy.

Just thought I would explain that since you may not have understood it...

Michael Menzli
01-22-2012, 11:24 AM
So..I realize Im new but missing the point of this thread? What is gained exactly by having replies? Is it a pride thing or making sure your being seen and or heard? I dunno..I look around a lot as Im a visual learner...dont feel totally competent to say and or critique much.

David E Keller
01-22-2012, 11:46 AM
So..I realize Im new but missing the point of this thread? What is gained exactly by having replies? Is it a pride thing or making sure your being seen and or heard? I dunno..I look around a lot as Im a visual learner...dont feel totally competent to say and or critique much.

Lately, the point of this thread seems to be diction and vocabulary... Sort of a primer on the English language. The original point of this thread was... Well... I can't remember what the original point was!:D

Mike Cruz
01-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Beautiful, David, just beautiful. :D

Michael, if I may speak for the OP, I believe he was curious as to why there would be SO many views with SO few responses. Not because of a pride in numbers thing, so much as "why?" thing. In a way, I understand the emotion behind his query. I've posted threads that got a lot of views and very few responses....thought it was a good question, or a good topic, but remarkably, not much response. It makes you wonder what is going through peoples' heads. Where I differ from the OP in this, is that I do understand "why" their aren't more replies. Or, in fairness, I should say that I differ from his initial post. I think he seems to "see the light", and gathering from one of his later comments, kinda wished he hadn't posted it in the first place...or at least not as...hastily. If I were to point a finger at him for doing that, it would be the pot calling tht kettle black.

Bill Noce
01-22-2012, 2:08 PM
Just my two cents.......Sometimes when you have a brain fart, you don't realize what a stink it makes....:):p:o:rolleyes:

robert raess
01-22-2012, 4:08 PM
I know how you feel.I have posted a no. of times [interesting subject matter I thot], and have gotten little to no response, at times.I chalk it up to the fact that I am not a known quantity and relatively new to SM.Maybe it takes a while to be 'friended'.Even when I get few responses,the ones i get are helpful and polite.Usually i weigh in, when i feel my opinion would be valued.

Dan Hintz
01-22-2012, 6:23 PM
In a way, I understand the emotion behind his query. I've posted threads that got a lot of views and very few responses...
I have an explanation for that... it's the accident on-looker effect. People feel an overwhelming need to top and view your threads because they're such train wrecks... they want to see bodies :p