PDA

View Full Version : ARA or MBM show

Jim Reinhard
01-19-2012, 10:05 PM
For those of you that have been to the trade shows .Both to see the new products out there and go to some training .What are the draws to each one.I Would like to go to both of them but can only choose 1 .I am leaning to ARA as it is in las vegas and it just happens to be the week of the Nascar race this year.Very convinenet,But the timing is not good for my wife .The MBM is in texas and would be less expensive.What expieriances have you had with both of these.

Mike Null
01-20-2012, 5:40 AM
Jim

The ARA show is much larger and more specific to the engraving industry. That's where I'd go. But the NBM shows are also good though much smaller and they cover the engraving business as well as signs and garments. Since those fields are related and some of us dabble in all three the NBM shows make sense too.

NBM shows are scheduled at various spots around the country and I think you'll find one in Charlotte. This year there will also be an ARA show in Atlanta in September.

If you Google NBM shows you will find their locations and schedule.

Jim Reinhard
01-20-2012, 9:02 PM
I was reading that the exibiters have been getting fewer and fewer at the nbm show .I looked at the list of exhibitors for the Texas show and it seems there is going to be a good turn out .If they are listed does that mean they are going to be there or just hopefull from nbm promoters.

Mike Null
01-21-2012, 8:39 AM
Jim

I've been at this for 15 years now. The number of exhibitors fluctuates, probably with the economy. I regularly attend the NBM shows in Indy and formerly in Columbus. If you are going to see just the engraving segment then a half day will probably get it done but if you want to see all of the show then at least a day is required.

The major suppliers are there and if a supplier's name is on the list of exhibitors only extenuating circumstances will prevent them from exhibiting.

Besides the show there are classes scheduled to help you hone your skills.

It would appear that Baltimore is replacing Charlotte on this year's schedule. http://thenbmshow.com/upcoming-shows

The large ARA show in Las Vegas is in early March and would be a better investment of time and money than going to Texas for the NBM in my opinion.

Jacob John
01-04-2016, 9:16 AM
I apologize for bumping an old thread, but this is my exact question going into 2016. This year, they are being held very close together, both in March. I'm very interested in both materials and enclosed galvo lasers, so I want to make the right decision. I'm closer to the Arlington show, but could make it to either one. Any suggestions for which one you're attending this year?

Mike Null
01-04-2016, 9:30 AM
Go to the ARA in Las Vegas. It's got a new name now which escapes me--something like Awards and Personalization--but it is the better show.

Scott Shepherd
01-04-2016, 10:05 AM
I've not seen but one galvo at a trade show and it was CO2 engraving floor mats for cars. I've never seen a fiber galvo at a trade show in the last 8 years. I've been to little show and big shows. I know they do show up from time to time, but it's not normally a staple product for them at the shows, and there's very little Chinese machinery at the smaller shows. I've seen big Chinese manufacturers at larger shows, but none of them had fibers or galvo fibers on display. Just keep that in mind if that's an important part of your decision making.

Jacob John
01-04-2016, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys, I believe in looking at the vendors, I'm planning on attending the Las Vegas show. Scott, there was a small show last year in the Kemah area that had an enclosed galvo. I guess I thought that most shows had those on display as well. I think it was Engraver's Network that had it on display.

Thanks!

Scott Shepherd
01-04-2016, 10:48 AM
No worries John, just something to check before you make plans. I've probably been to 20 or more shows and have yet to see one. Just something to note.

Jacob John
01-08-2016, 2:07 PM
So the show is 4 days (the Vegas show). How many days would you suggest is needed? My plan is for 2-3 days, but my wife thinks it will take all 4. We plan on either 2 half days and a third full day, or just 2 full days if I get my way. :)

Scott Shepherd
01-08-2016, 2:40 PM
John, I don't know your business or what you do, but I know all the laser manufactures show up at two bigger shows, the SGIA and the ISA Shows. They rotate from coast to coast. This year, the ISA is in Orlando in April, and the SGIA is in Vegas in September. They are massive shows and can take 2-3 days to see everything. You'll get a lot of manufactures of raw materials from China actually at those shows as well. I found a company that does engraving plastic at one of them last year.

NBM has always been a let down for me. The NBM show in Philly this year was horrific. We literally walked the entire show in about 1 hour. It was one of the worst shows I've been to.

I've not been to the ARA show, but I know the ISA and SGIA shows are amazing.

Mike Null
01-08-2016, 4:47 PM
If you don't attend any classes two days will be more than ample time. If you don't really get into talking and working with suppliers you can gather literature and samples in one busy day.

I feel that you have to spend a good bit of time with your primary suppliers--in my case Johnson Plastics and JDS as well as the laser people. I'm always looking for new opportunities as well.

The buffet at the Bellagio is awesome. https://www.bellagio.com/en/restaurants/the-buffet.html

Jacob John
01-09-2016, 12:25 PM
John, I don't know your business or what you do, but I know all the laser manufactures show up at two bigger shows, the SGIA and the ISA Shows. They rotate from coast to coast. This year, the ISA is in Orlando in April, and the SGIA is in Vegas in September. They are massive shows and can take 2-3 days to see everything. You'll get a lot of manufactures of raw materials from China actually at those shows as well. I found a company that does engraving plastic at one of them last year.

NBM has always been a let down for me. The NBM show in Philly this year was horrific. We literally walked the entire show in about 1 hour. It was one of the worst shows I've been to.

I've not been to the ARA show, but I know the ISA and SGIA shows are amazing.

Wow, the ISA is huge. My main interests in attending would be for looking at new equipment, although my Trotec is only a few weeks old, so I'm good there. :)

My next purchase is an enclosed fiber galvo, so if they don't display those at shows, that cancels that need. The other reason I'm going to is to pick up new wholesalers of materials. I'm mainly interested in wood products and glassware, as those are my main sellers. I am open to expanding into metals, but I really want a galvo before I jump into that.

Now I'm not sure which one I want to attend, but I've already been planning a road trip around the ARA show, but I love the Orlando area.

Jeanette Brewer
01-09-2016, 6:04 PM
Call Robert Hensley at Engravers Network to see if he'll be showing his fiber galvo in Vegas. You are correct in that he was showing that at the Texas Trophy & Awards Show in Kemah last year.

Seems like Gravograph & Trotec both have fiber galvos too so a phone call to them would be in order also, to see if they'll be showing that model at the Vegas show (the International Awards & Personalization Expo).

If I were you, I'd plan to spend two full days (one of them being Education Day on Tuesday, March 1) & maybe another half day to go back to some of the exhibitors with whom you've made a connection but you need a little more time.

(Moderators, if inappropriate to list these links, please remove but I'm hoping they're allowed....)

http://awardspersonalization.org/TradeShows/InternationalExpo.aspx

Education Day schedule:

http://awardspersonalization.org/TradeShows/InternationalExpo/Education.aspx