PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat x2

Donny Lawson
01-19-2012, 8:45 PM
Well, today I ended up with a huge dump truck load of red oak.( Most of which will be firewood). I also came upon this nice maple tree while running our route. It's not all down yet but in a few days I hope it will be. I will swing back by and check it out over the weekend. Our woodturners meeting is on Tues. and is only 2 bolcks away so I hope to be able to share alot with them.

Lee Koepke
01-19-2012, 8:59 PM
geez .... how far are you from Summerville ????? I will be up there next Wednesday (hint,hint)

Donny Lawson
01-19-2012, 9:07 PM
geez .... how far are you from Summerville ????? I will be up there next Wednesday (hint,hint)
I'm about an hour from summerville. Hopefully you have a truck(hint,hint).

Lee Koepke
01-19-2012, 9:09 PM
I'm about an hour from summerville. Hopefully you have a truck(hint,hint).

I will have to see how my day goes. Building a school up there, so I will be back a few more times in the next few months....

Steve Busey
01-19-2012, 9:20 PM
while running our route.

I missed that part of your story, Donny - what route exactly are you running? You seem to find more wood by accident than I do on purpose!

Jim Burr
01-19-2012, 9:25 PM
It is my experienced opinion that you have the second coolest job in the world!!

Donny Lawson
01-20-2012, 10:55 PM
I missed that part of your story, Donny - what route exactly are you running? You seem to find more wood by accident than I do on purpose!

Steve, I never know what I will find from one day to the next. We have 2 tractors and about 9-10 dump trucks. The route is divided into 4 different routes. There is a North route and a South route. Each week the tractor drivers take 4-5 trucks each and divides the route and then works the North route one week and the South route the next week. We all average 2-3 truck loads per day. It is interesting work and you would be amazed of what people actually throw away. We pick up everything from Trees,Brush,Couches,Appliances,Building materials, and other items. I myself like the wood part. My tractor driver knows that when we run upon wood to let me look at it before its put in a truck. He always asks me 'Well, do you want this?". I cannot stand it because I like it all. When spring gets here the cutting really begins. I'm afraid to lay out of work because I might miss something I want.
Donny