PDA

View Full Version : Need design input - please

John Beaver
01-19-2012, 7:46 PM
I wanted this bowl to sit up a little so you could see underneath it better. (I usually make them with taller, steeper walls, but I thought I'd play with a flatter bowl and see how that worked). I designed it for the tall pedestal, but now I'm having doubts, so I tried a couple of 3 footed pedestals.

Please tell me what you think about these bases, or give me a new suggestion.
Thanks very much for your input.

1. Triangular footed pedestal, same wood as bowl
2. Triangular footed pedestal black
3. Tall pedestal (I will add some grooves to this if I go this direction)
4. No pedestal, just a small foot. (foot will be slightly taller then this one)

Deane Allinson
01-19-2012, 7:51 PM
Since I always have an opinion......I would like to see just a small foot. Some of the other solutions seem to over power the form. Nice design. What is the wood species and size?
Deane

Marty Eargle
01-19-2012, 7:52 PM
I'd have to go option #2 on this one if you wanted to add something to the piece. It seems to fit with that type of bowl the best, aside from a small foot.

charlie knighton
01-19-2012, 7:53 PM
+1 on small foot, nicely done

Jim Burr
01-19-2012, 7:54 PM
#2 is my favorite

Eric Holmquist
01-19-2012, 7:55 PM
I am torn between the three foot black and tall black. The three foot same does not work for me and your design has too much detail low down to be on a small foot.

Dennis Ford
I vote for option 1. If the sapwood had been at the rim instead of near the bottom, I would have voted for option 2.

David E Keller
I don't think you've got a bad one in the bunch! I prefer the 1st and 4th options over the other two. The bowl is so nice that I prefer it alone or with a base that doesn't compete for my eye. I wonder how the look would change if the foot were thinner... Maybe half that thickness! What if the base were carved in some way to include 'windows' like the bowl? I also thought briefly about some kind of clear acrylic stand(or even glass), but I don't have any experience using that type of thing.

Steve Vaughan
01-19-2012, 7:56 PM
Yup, on the small foot. Very cool looking!

Bill Wyko
01-19-2012, 7:56 PM
How about the 3 leg foot with a smaller version of the pedestal on top of it? Just a thought. As far as the bowl goes, it won't hold water but it looks incredible.:D

Jim Underwood
01-19-2012, 7:58 PM
#2 for me also.

However, I'd like to make a suggestion... I think a shape like #3, but smaller like #2, might look the best. But one never knows until one actually sees it.

Scott Hackler
01-19-2012, 7:59 PM
I vote for #2. I like the shorter foot and contrasting color the best.

Baxter Smith
01-19-2012, 8:03 PM
I don't know if it is possible to really see under a flatter bowl unless it is above eye level. In that light, I would tend to just go with the smaller foot as in picture 4 and enjoy looking at the waves from the inside. It would not be as "artsy" that way though. Putting waves in a pedestal of some type might make it look like it "fit" a little better rather than just sitting on top.

Michelle Rich
01-19-2012, 8:03 PM
I prefer the last..no base..maybe a small thin foot..to raise it a bit?

Jamie Donaldson
01-19-2012, 8:25 PM
I like the base in #1 that matches the color of the Mesquite, but if the inserts you intend to use match the darker base #2 that would be my choice.

Richard Allen
01-19-2012, 9:14 PM
I see no reason to display this as a bowl. It isn't like the object is a bowl to hold anything. The object can be displayed at an angle. A small stand which holds object vertical and disappears from view. It would also be great if the object was in the air slightly. The "stand" could be attached to the object in such a way that the stand can not be seen when displayed. Naturally if the stand is attached then the stand would need to permit the object to be displayed in at least two different ways, horizontal and vertical.

Curt Fuller
01-19-2012, 9:18 PM
I don't care much for the 3rd version. Of the two 3 legged bases, I think the dark one adds a little extra with the contrast. But then again it also draws the eye away from the bowl and tends to defeat the purpose of putting it up in the air to showcase the bowl. The small foot is nice but doesn't quite accomplish the task of highlighting the bowl as well. But for just purely what I like, it's #2. And I love all the variations of you wave bowls.

Steve Schlumpf
01-19-2012, 9:22 PM
John - I like having the wood the same as the bowl - looks like it belongs together. Also, while I like the 3 foot version as in photo #1, I would much prefer to see it with square legs such that it matches the design immediately above it in the bowl... if you catch my drift. Cool bowl!! Looking forward to seeing the finished version!!

Harry Robinette
01-19-2012, 9:36 PM
#3 with only half the height and twice curve.

David DeCristoforo
01-19-2012, 9:45 PM
None of the stand options really "do it" for me even though they all look good. I like the bowl better as a "stand alone". If I had to pick one it would be #2 because, even though the darker color pulls the eye away from the bowl, it also is clearly a stand and not part of the bowl.

Tom Wilson66
01-19-2012, 9:48 PM
If you want to see the bottom, display it on a mirror, won't have to elevate it at all.

Tim Rinehart
01-19-2012, 10:05 PM
#2 gets my vote John, and perhaps a tad smaller/lighter. May be worth experimenting with a trapezoidal shape also to elevate a bit.

Don Alexander
01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
of these choices i like #2 the best

Steve Mawson
01-19-2012, 10:45 PM
I like the triangular pedestal with the same wood as the bowl. Just very nice to look at. However the taller one will be totally different when you ad the waves to it. I can't quite imagine what it will look like without actually seeing it but believe it will be very interesting. I might even like it better in the same wood. No matter what I like all of your wave pieces.

John Keeton
01-20-2012, 5:41 AM
#2 gets my vote John, and perhaps a tad smaller/lighter.Bingo! This was my immediate thought.

steven carter
01-20-2012, 8:43 AM
I like #4 the best, but if you want to raise it how about a smaller, inverse mimic of the bowl itself?

Robert Henrickson
01-20-2012, 9:17 AM
#1, but a bit lower -- perhaps with the curve matching that within the bowl. I think the color of #2 attracts too much attention from the bowl. Most definitely not #3.

John W Dixon
01-20-2012, 10:17 AM
my vote would be #2

Alan Trout
01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
I am with David on this none of the bases compliment the bowl IMHO and either a small foot to give a little lift or nothing at all.

Alan

Wally Dickerman
01-20-2012, 5:30 PM
Actually, none of the above. #3 the least. Simply overpowers the bowl. If It was mine I'd do a small dovetail foot of the same material. Give it some lift but not intrude on the beauty of the bowl

John Beaver
01-20-2012, 9:17 PM
Wow ! Thank you all for the responses.

FYI the Tally is
#1 - 5 Votes (plain 3 leg base)
#2 - 9 Votes ( black 3 leg base)
#3 - 1 Votes (Tall pedestal)
#4 - 10 Votes (Small foot)
Other - 2 Votes

I think I'm leaning towards a small foot slightly taller then #4, but the black 3 leg base is still in the running.
I will post photos when it's done.

Mark Hubl
01-20-2012, 9:46 PM
I am with Wally. I am not a fan of 1 thru 3. I little foot would add some lift and shadow. Lots of nice lines already. To me it is a bowl, not a cake plate. 11 for number four.