PDA

View Full Version : Cute little Disston saw

Michael Ray Smith
01-19-2012, 6:46 PM
Some of you may have seen the listing of this little saw that I just bought on eBay. The blade is only 12 inches long, so I assumed (and still do, until I find a reason to believe otherwise) that it was made as a child's saw, maybe as part of a child's toolbox. It definitely has a Disston etch, but most of it is illegible, and I can't make out any sort of model number. The Disston medallion dates from the 40's or 50's.

Even if it's a child's saw, it's not a toy. The blade is dull, but it's straight and in joint. It's even taper ground. I just used it on a piece of 3/4" walnut, and it cut nice and straight (albeit slowly because, as I said, it's dull). The handle is small, and I had to put my forefinger on top. I wasn't quite sure what I would do with it when I bought it, but, heck, I may sharpen it and use it.

Does anyone know anything about this little guy?

Joe Bailey
01-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Can't really answer your question, but did you see my (similar) post from less than a week back?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?179683-My-newest-Buddy

Michael Ray Smith
01-20-2012, 2:00 AM
No, I didn't see that. Not the same saw, but similar.

Ken Shepard
01-23-2012, 11:39 AM
I have one of these - it is a Disston No. 28 Tool Box Saw and is shown in the 1932 and 1954 catalogs. The Disston toy toolbox saw was the
Buddy L. saw which was made by Disston for a short time and the Disston American Boy Saw, first offered in the 1920's.

Ken Shepard

Michael Ray Smith
01-23-2012, 3:22 PM
Thanks, Ken!!

Now that you mention it, I've seen the ads for the American Boy saw. I forgot about those. Okay, I guess this one wasn't meant for kids. Do you find yours useful? I sharpened mine, and it cuts great.

john brenton
01-23-2012, 8:14 PM
I haven't seen very many American made saws like that, but that size is pretty common for continental saw makers. I'd like a saw that size sometimes.