PDA

View Full Version : ? clean holes in plexiglass???

Norris Randall
01-19-2012, 4:50 PM
Greetings Ladies & Gents,
I am having difficulty boring holes in 1/8 " plexiglass.
Would prefer same thickness as 25 cent piece which is a little thinner.
The project requires 25 clean holes 1" in diameter in one piece of material.
Actually a little smaller would be ideal since I want quarters (.955 in.)to fit in the holes.
I've tried spade bit, forstner bit & hole saw.
They all seem to melt a little around the edges and leave a rather rough finish.
I have tried to use a slow "feed" with out any improvement.

All suggestions appreciated.

The finished project will have a WOODEN frame. so this should qualify for this forum :D

Larry Browning
01-19-2012, 6:34 PM
I don't know if this helps, but you can buy a drill bit designed for quarters.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6401
(http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6401)
I am interested in seeing the answer to this as well. I had the same problem when making the door on Norm's router table.

David Hawxhurst
01-19-2012, 7:02 PM
if you debur the edges you can polish them with a propane/butane torch.

Bill Wyko
01-19-2012, 8:02 PM
Sharp unibit. Works like a charm.

Dan Hintz
01-19-2012, 8:24 PM
Or if you need a lot of them, find someone local with a laser. We can do stuff like that in a heartbeat, and the edges are nice and clear.

Norris Randall
01-20-2012, 9:53 PM
Well, I came back to this thread; but now do not see the suggestion that I tried.
Where ever the suggestion came from it seems to have worked.
"Try lexan" it will cut with long continuous "curls". I picked up a small sample
and drilled a 1" hole. Soothe edges and ONE long curl. If anything changes I'll post it here.

Joe Pfeifer
01-20-2012, 10:20 PM
If it's melting try a slower bit speed while feeding with steady pressure.

Andrew Kertesz
01-21-2012, 7:36 AM
#1 on Dan's suggestion of using a laser. If you can find someone local you will not be able to match the accuracy and the clean cut on the holes. The laser polishes the edges as it cuts.

Trevor Walsh
01-21-2012, 9:51 AM
Slow the speed down a bunch, a forstner will do it, also slow the feed down when reaching the opposite side.

David Hawxhurst
01-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Well, I came back to this thread; but now do not see the suggestion that I tried.
Where ever the suggestion came from it seems to have worked.
"Try lexan" it will cut with long continuous "curls". I picked up a small sample
and drilled a 1" hole. Soothe edges and ONE long curl. If anything changes I'll post it here.

while lexan is a trade name (for polycarbonate) it is much easier to machine (drill, route, etc) then plexiglass (which is also a trade name).

john lampros
01-21-2012, 2:02 PM
When drilling plexi we always use a soapy water spray to get clean holes, it lubes and keeps the edges from melting, they should come out almost glossy. if not, slow down the press.

Bill Wyko
01-21-2012, 2:06 PM
You can't cut Lexan with a lazar though, it'll burn it. Plexi no problem though.