PDA

View Full Version : Red Storm Rising

Tim Rinehart
01-19-2012, 4:22 PM
This piece of box elder burl is from a root burl I've made another recent piece from...really neat stuff, the colors remind me of buckeye burl in some areas.

The vivid colors on this piece are wonderful to enjoy while they last. I've toyed with idea of using some transparent dye to hold them longer...but don't have an airbrush or any experience with one.

I'm somewhat at odds whether to go with or without finial...the pink ivory finial came from the Wood Fairy Acacia turning and it's color is a dead ringer for the red in the box elder...so too tempting to not try. Looking for opinions. The little walnut collar was needed as a transition to use this finial without re-turning it...I'm at once ok then at odds with it too.

The piece was a joy to turn, 7 1/2" tall x 7 1/2" wide, and about 13" to tip of finial. Finish is antique oil, 2 coats and more to go then perhaps a buff/wax.

Ok...I'll leave further judgement to you all! Thanks for comments/critique!

Steve bellinger
01-19-2012, 4:48 PM
Tim as i'm normally a finial guy, but for some reason i really love the last pic the best. So i'm going against my norm here and saying no finial on this one. BTW don't get any better than that for wood or for the way you did it proud. Great job man.

Sid Matheny
01-19-2012, 4:51 PM
Great looking wood and pleasing shape. The finial looks nice now with the red but not sure if if fades. Very good job in my book.

Sid

Jim Burr
01-19-2012, 4:53 PM
I think its pretty cool Tim!! The finial could be a tad shorter...but it sure is different!

Richard Madden
01-19-2012, 4:56 PM
I'd say keep the finial, at least as long as the colors match. The red in the Box Elder may not last too long, but while it does, I think it looks great!

Doug W Swanson
01-19-2012, 4:59 PM
I actually like it with just the collar. The finial is nice but the color is just a little too strong for my taste....

John Keeton
01-19-2012, 5:06 PM
My vote for no collar, no finial. Great work, and you are right - beautiful wood.

Michelle Rich
01-19-2012, 5:32 PM
ooohhh ooohhhh love the colors! very, very cool!

Ron Bontz
01-19-2012, 5:35 PM
Just my 2 cents. Either ebony finial or no finial. Either way very nice piece.

John Spitters
01-19-2012, 5:38 PM
In my eye ... the piece looks best without the collar or finial, still very nice though.

John

charlie knighton
01-19-2012, 5:38 PM
very nice, Tim, no opinion on finale, i like it with or without, i would point out as the boxelder colors fade it might look different, maybe a different colored finale for later

opps i agree with Sid

Nate Davey
01-19-2012, 5:47 PM
Wow, that is a vivid finial and piece of Elder. I kind of like the finial, but wonder how the piece would look with just the finial and not the collar. Great form Tim.

Jamie Donaldson
01-19-2012, 5:49 PM
I love the red colors together, and you can hand paint in red pigment on the box elder with fine brushes as J.D. Meyer used to do, but before the finish is applied. The sad fact is that the pink ivory will also fade to a honey brown over time, and from examples I've seen would be about the same color as the faded red in the box elder.

Larry Pickering
01-19-2012, 5:49 PM
great piece I like the pink ivory finial. Box elder is one of my favorite woods, for the past 2 years I have been using a UV resistant spray clear,

U-POL CLEAR#1 part no. UP 0796, so far so good, on the fading. Spray 2-3 wet coats, sand smooth, re-coat, if the gloss level is to high, 0000 steel wool

You can find it on line, Google U-Pol Clear

Dane Fuller
01-19-2012, 6:47 PM
That's a beautiful piece, Tim. I think I'll have to go with the non-finial crowd.

Does the red fade due to time or will UV exposure hasten the change?

Baxter Smith
01-19-2012, 6:59 PM
Looks great to me being completely naked!

Robert McGowen
01-19-2012, 7:04 PM
My vote for no collar, no finial. Great work, and you are right - beautiful wood.

I concur....... :)

Roger Chandler
01-19-2012, 7:26 PM
You have a winner there Tim, with or without the finial..........I like the finial......nice shape, but could be a little shorter, as the height of the form and finial both look to be near the same ............about 3/5th's would be about right. Good stuff!

David E Keller
01-19-2012, 7:40 PM
That's great no matter how you choose to present it, but I think I prefer it sans collar and finial. I like the visual lift that a finial provides the form, but this wood is too spectacular for such a vibrant finial IMHO. In all honesty, I've never really been a fan of pink ivory, so that may be part of the reason I prefer the piece unadorned. I'll bet I'd feel differently if I could see the piece in person.

George Morris
01-19-2012, 7:44 PM
I like it without. Very well done great form . The box elder is a beautiful wood to turn. Great work!

John Beaver
01-19-2012, 7:55 PM
I like it without too, but I could go either way. However, I think the red finial is a little overpowering. I would probably try a red collar with a black finial.
Either way you have a winner.

Scott Hackler
01-19-2012, 8:09 PM
Although I understand the "need" to use that cool red finial, for this particular piece of box elder I prefer it naked. There is plenty of visual interest in the form and any embellishment on the top distracts from a fantastic form.

Alan Trout
01-19-2012, 9:44 PM
Tim,

I really like the form but tend to agree with John about the finial and the collar. The collar IMHO does not blend withe the shape of the top of the vessel and the finial should then blend with the collar so there is a consistent arc from the top of the vessel, collar and finial. Like I said the form is wonderful just a little tweeking of the collar and finial is needed IMHO.

Alan

David DeCristoforo
01-19-2012, 9:49 PM
As much as I like pink ivory, I would resist the temptation to put any finial or collar on this one. It holds it's own quite nicely and the finial distracts from the sweet form and beautiful wood. No need for "gilding the lily"...

Tim Rinehart
01-19-2012, 10:01 PM
I want to thank all of you for your input, this was a close decision in my mind, but my lean was that the piece had too much of its own character to allow any distractions...so sans finial it will be. I'll have to save that finial for something a little plainer, or perhaps an ornament!

Larry, thanks also for suggestions on UV blocking products. I don't want to poly this, but will be looking for an oil product with driers for some final coats to help preserve some of the color.

Tony Pridmore
01-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I vote no finial, no collar. Another great looking hollow form, Tim. Keep 'em coming.

Edit: I see we agree. :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Beautiful piece and wood. I agree no finial.

Kathy Marshall
01-20-2012, 1:24 AM
I agree with David, the excellent form and gorgeous wood speak for themselves. It's a wonderful piece!

Gary Sichmeller
01-20-2012, 8:35 AM
I agree with the no collar, no finial crowd. Great piece of wood and masterful hollowing job!

Larry Pickering
01-20-2012, 8:45 AM
good information on UV (ultraviolet) screens

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/uv-resistant-finishes.html