PDA

View Full Version : Today was so dry

John Scane
03-16-2005, 2:47 AM
in my shop that all day I could hear wood checking and splitting.

In the morning when I got to the shop everything was fine but as the day went on I kept hearing little popping noises. Finally I figured out it was all of my wood cracking!! The air was so dry today I have no idea what can be done ? ? I have a large plank of white oak that is 18" wide x 10' long and all over the face of it are these little tiny splits and checks.....I finally grabbed a spray bottle and sprayed both sides, it seemed to help. I started looking at the rest of the wood in my shop and noticed many of the ends were checking including the mahogany I had just cut. It was very strange. Anyone else have this problem ever ? ANd any advice on what to do ?

thanks
John

sascha gast
03-16-2005, 4:41 AM
hey john, how are ya. sorry to hear about your wood, on long boards i guess seal the ends, but on the wide oak board i have no idea.
the only good thing is, the bubinga slab will dry out now

sascha

Bob Lang
03-16-2005, 6:46 AM
That's not a problem we have around here in humid Ohio. You need to raise the humidity-quick and easy solution would be to fill a trash can or two with water.

Bob Lang

John Scane
03-17-2005, 1:58 AM
yea at least the Bubinga is drying.......:rolleyes:

Hey Sascha what have you been working on ? how's the Oliver treating you ?

sascha gast
03-17-2005, 5:11 AM
hey john, love my oliver.
i have been turning so much, not even funny, i need more turning wood, do you know a source like a local tree service or such??

by the way, can you get me the mixture for a good concrete mixture for furniture building and maybe where i could get some better stuff than homedepot. i also would love to know where i could get pigment to color it

sascha