PDA

View Full Version : A few more old friends

steven c newman
01-19-2012, 1:05 PM
I brought in a tool box from the shop. Seems it is time for the yearly "clean-up". There were a few old friends in there:220372220373220374220375220376 That big chisel was made by a company called Worth. The two homeys are a cove and a "V" groover. Both saws are from stanley ( I think) one has a flat profile, and the smaller one has a round frame style. The shot of the chisel is of it's back, and shows the weld between the steel and the wrought iron. Maybe I can get a couple more looks here...220377220378220379A chisel plane (1/2" chisel) a hammer with a homemade handle, a large cove plane, using an old file as an iron, another shot of the big chisel, along with a wooden plane...;)

steven c newman
01-19-2012, 1:54 PM
Other than the old Stanleys, no BIG Name tools in this pile. There are a couple of handsaws as well, including a Diston "Townsman" crosscut saw. A couple backsaws are also in the mix. That red handled square is also a Stanley, although the combo square is a Swanson. In the first photo, you'll see a small hammer. This is my "go-to" hammer on most projects. Still can drive a nail without any problems. That big old Worth has a funny cross section to it, the sides are straight and 90 degrees to the underside of the blade, but the top is angled towards the center. Well beat up as well, even before I got a hold of it. As for that piece of wood they are sitting on? It began life as a floor joist, then I cleaned it up, and found that it was Black Cherry. Most have been quite a garage, white oak for rafters, and black cherry for joists.....

Jim Koepke
01-19-2012, 3:17 PM
I like the spoke shave in the first picture.

Is that a curved bottom shave?

jtk

steven c newman
01-19-2012, 4:36 PM
Nope, kind of flat, actually. Not so much as a number stamp on it, even. Just a no-name mutt, like me.