PDA

View Full Version : Faceless frame construction on kictchen cabinets

Rick Reinsma
03-16-2005, 12:41 AM
I am using 3/4 Melamine for my carcass construction but do not want to put Melamine edging on the exposed fronts.My question is would I just cut 3/4 x 3/4 strips of oak(that's what I am using for the door's) and use this instead? I have noticed that the edging usually is about 1-1/2 wide not 3/4 ?If I use the 3/4 size I would be able to mount my hardware for the drawers right to the inside of the cabinet but if I use 1-1/2 I would have to add strip's to build out the inside of the cabinet's to mount the hardware. I don't think that It look's that good. What would you suggest? Thank's ...Rick

Mark Singer
03-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Rick,
3/4" is fine. Even wood veneer will work for the edges. The hardware can attach to the melamine.
I am using 3/4 Melamine for my carcass construction but do not want to put Melamine edging on the exposed fronts.My question is would I just cut 3/4 x 3/4 strips of oak(that's what I am using for the door's) and use this instead? I have noticed that the edging usually is about 1-1/2 wide not 3/4 ?If I use the 3/4 size I would be able to mount my hardware for the drawers right to the inside of the cabinet but if I use 1-1/2 I would have to add strip's to build out the inside of the cabinet's to mount the hardware. I don't think that It look's that good. What would you suggest? Thank's ...Rick

Mark J Bachler
03-16-2005, 8:04 AM
I use solid 1/4" x 3/4" solid edges glued to the fronts of the cabinets & around the doors & drawers. The hardware mounts to the melamine sides. Euro pocket hinges work well for the doors, KV or Accuride ball bearing slides for the drawers. Make the drawer boxes 1" smaller in width than the opening to accommodate the slides. Hope this helps.